Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
The elevating devices discipline establishes and interprets the codes, standards and respective regulations under the Safety Codes Act.
Municipal Affairs works with the Safety Codes Council and the Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association (AEDARSA) to develop and provide relevant information to the elevating devices industry.
Codes and standards
The following codes in the elevator discipline are current and effective December 1, 2022:
- ASME A17.1-2013/CSA-B44-13 Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
- CSA-B311-02 (R2012) Safety Code for Manlifts
- CSA-B355-2009 Lifts for Persons with Physical Disabilities
- CSA-Z185-M87 (R2011) Safety Code for Personnel Hoists
Purchase codes and standards
To purchase a copy of the standards, contact the CSA Group at 1-800-463-6727 or online on the CSA website.
Receive bulletins by email for interpretations, recommended practices or provincewide variances on codes and standards matters related to the Safety Codes Act.
- New Elevating Devices code regulation enforcement
- Elevating Devices Code Regulation AR 205/2021
- Elevators/Escalators Exposed to Fires, 2016
- Elevating Devices Codes Regulation AR 192/2015
- Elevators/Escalators Exposed to Flooding and Water Damage, 2013
Subscribe to the List Subscription Services to receive email notifications on new STANDATA information.
Connect with us if you have questions about safety codes:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.