Code in force
Fire code declared in force December 1, 2019:
- National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition (PDF, 2.7 MB) – Declared in force on December 1, 2019
Purchase codes and standards
To obtain a copy of the standards, contact the National Research Council (NRC) at:
- Alberta Fire Code 2014 (PDF, 2.9 MB) – In force on May 1, 2015 to November 30, 2019
- Alberta Fire Code 2006 (PDF, 2.6 MB) – In force from September 2, 2007, to April 30, 2015
- Alberta Fire Code 1997 (PDF, 1.6 MB) – In force from June 1, 1998, to September 1, 2007
- Alberta Fire Code 1992 (PDF, 11 MB) – In force from August 31, 1992, to May 31, 1998
- Upcoming new Alberta codes editions
- Notice – National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition and National Fire Code – 2019 Edition
- Notice – Distillery Classification
- Notice – Intumescent or fire resistant coatings on exterior sheathing
Training and certification
Safety codes officer certification and training plus requirements in the fire safety discipline is managed by the Safety Codes Council. The Council is an independent regulatory body made up of industry stakeholders and staff that delivers programs on behalf of the government of Alberta under the Safety Codes Act.
Fire safety tip brochures are also available on the Safety Codes Council website as easy reference guides.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.