EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
- Alberta’s Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act requires anyone who believes a child is at risk to report their concern.
- Learn the signs of abuse and neglect, and report concerns to the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-KIDS.
- Foster Care is the temporary living arrangement for a child if Children's Services can’t quickly locate suitable kinship care.
- To learn more about becoming a foster caregiver, contact your local Children’s Services office or Delegated First Nation Agency.
- Alberta residents are able to adopt children in government care, as well as through private and international adoption.
- Families who adopt or obtain private guardianship of a child in permanent government care can apply for financial assistance.
Children’s Services focuses on early intervention, child development and delivering supports and services to children, youth and families. It works to ensure that children in Alberta have the tools they need to thrive in healthy families and communities. The ministry engages with Indigenous leaders and communities, the Government of Canada, other Government of Alberta ministries, community agencies and other stakeholders.
- Nov 25, 2020
Simplified and easier-to-navigate processes will improve Alberta’s adoption system for Albertans as we mark Adoption Awareness Month.
- Oct 31, 2020
Minister of Children’s Services Rebecca Schulz and Minister of Education Adriana LaGrange issued the following statement on Halloween:
- Oct 28, 2020New legislation supports safe, accessible and high-quality child care | Nouvelle législation pour appuyer des services de garde d'enfants sûrs, accessibles et de qualité
After the first consultation in more than a decade, Alberta’s government is proposing new legislation and regulation to reduce red tape and improve accessibility of child care.