Contracts and tender
For traditional design-bid-build contracts, tender packages are prepared in accordance with the Engineering Consultant Guidelines for Highway, Bridge and Water Projects (Volume 1) – Design and Tender.
Contract tender templates, special provisions and specification amendments should be used where applicable.
Administration of bridge construction contracts including the requirements of consultant fabrication and construction inspection services are completed in accordance with the Engineering Consultant Guidelines for Highway, Bridge, and Water Projects (Volume 2) – Construction Contract Administration.
Construction costs for new construction and rehabilitation projects are summarized in the bridge cost data sheet (XLSM, 5.2 MB). Cost data is used in the development of project cost estimates and to assess construction costs.
Bridge fabrication and construction inspections are comprehensive activities requiring in-depth knowledge of contract administration, technical engineering principles and an aptitude to work collaboratively with various stakeholders to build safe, efficient and durable bridge structures.
The Bridge Fabrication Inspection Manual – Edition 1 (BFIM) and the Bridge Construction Inspection Manual – Edition 3 (BCIM) outline bridge fabrication and construction inspection practices, policies and provide commentary, interpretation and guidance on the provisions contained within the:
- General Specifications, Specification Amendments and Supplemental Specifications for Highway and Bridge Construction (Edition 16)
- Standard Specifications for Bridge Construction (Edition 17)
- Engineering Consultant Guidelines for Highway, Bridge, and Water Projects (Volume 2) – Construction Contract Administration
The BFIM and BCIM are resources for inspectors, project managers, contractors and fabricators.
The Bridge Fabrication Inspection Manual – Edition 1 includes information on the fabrication of various bridge components:
- steel girders
- deck joints
- precast concrete girders/units
- overhead sign structures
The BFIM also details the Quality Assurance (QA) requirements and expectations of Engineering Consultants providing fabrication inspection services to the Department.
Editable BFIM Appendix I - Prefabrication Meeting Agendas (DOCX, 3.5 MB) and BFIM Appendix H - Quality Assurance Inspection Checklists and Inspection Forms (ZIP, 617 KB) included in BFIM appendices can be modified for project spefici requirements.
Bridge Construction Inspection Manual – Edition 3, Volume 1 includes general construction information related to each section of the Standard Specifications for Bridge Construction.
The BCIM also details the Quality Assurance (QA) requirements and expectations of Engineering Consultants providing construction inspection services for the Department.
The Bridge Construction Inspection Manual – Edition 3, Volume 2 is a supplement to Volume 1, and includes inspection check sheets that have been developed for each technical section contained within Volume 1.
The inspection check sheets are provided as a resource to the bridge construction inspector for conducting regular inspection activities. Editable inspection check sheets (DOCX, 741 KB) can be modified for project specific requirements.
We issue construction bulletins periodically to provide guidance related to administration of construction contracts. Current construction bulletins related to bridge structures are:
- Construction bulletin 26 – Gap Tolerance Inspections For Standard Finger Plate and Cover Plated V-Seal Deck Joints
- Construction bulletin 28 – Accreditation Requirements for Laboratories conducting Mill Test Report Verification
- Construction bulletin 29 – Boron in Structural Steel
- Construction bulletin 30 – Bridge Fabrication Inspection Engineering Consulting Services
- Construction bulletin 31 – Amendments AMC B025 and AMC B026 - Standard Specifications for Bridge Construction
Specification shells for culvert tunneling projects are available for projects.
- Culvert Tunneling Specification Shell User Guide (PDF, 14 KB)
- Welded Steel Pipe Installation by Tunneling and Jacking (PDF, 46 KB)
- Culvert Tunneling Specification Shell Contract (DOC, 50 KB)
- Sample Culvert Tunneling Drawings (PDF, 527 KB)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.