Materials and products
Materials and products approved for use in construction, maintenance and rehabilitation of the Department's bridges can be found in the Specifications for Bridge Construction, Standard and Typical Detail Drawings, and the Transportation Products List (PDF, 472 KB).
Approved materials and products are not an endorsement by the Department or a guarantee of performance relative to contract requirements.
Transportation product list
The Transportation Product List is maintained and managed by the New Product Evaluation Committee (NPEC). Products listed are classified into 4 categories:
- "Approved" products – Products may be used where appropriate on our projects.
- "Proven" products – Products may be used where appropriate on our projects.
- "Trial" products – Requires prior written approval from our department.
- "Potential" products – Requires prior written approval from our department.
"Approved" products within the Product List are those where we have been directly involved in the testing and evaluation.
Testing must be completed in accordance with our Material Test Procedures and Guidelines.
"Approved" products include:
- bridge concrete sealers
- bridge coating systems (paint)
- non-shrink grouts
- concrete patching materials
- various formulations of traffic paints.
The material testing specifications require that either our Material Test Procedures and Guidelines or ASTM/ICRI/CSA/AASHTO test methods are followed.
In some cases our material test procedures and guidelines may be similar to alternative material test methods but are often not identical and can not be viewed as interchangeable.
Further details on the New Product Evaluation Committee and the processes in which new products are evaluated can be found at Products List and Materials Testing.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.