Pesticide applicator recertification involves either taking an examination or completing a continuing education program. Both can be arranged by contacting Lakeland College.
Applicators must begin the recertification process before the expiry of their current certificate. They can:
- rewrite the pesticide applicator certification examination, or
- complete the requirements of a continuing education program, and complete a pesticide applicator recertification application form (available through Lakeland College)
To recertify, an applicator must obtain 15 continuing education credits within their 5-year certification period. Some exceptions apply.
One credit normally equals 1 hour of attending/participating in an information session, demonstration or course. The courses and credits must be approved by Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP).
The courses cover 10 areas:
- Application Technology
- Emergency Response
- General Information
- Human Health
- Pesticide Safety
- Pest Management
A maximum of 10 continuing education credits can be obtained in any 1 year. Within the 15 required credits, the following minimums must be obtained:
- one credit in environment (environment issues, pesticide fate, runoff, movement, teaching)
- two credits in application technology (calibration clinics, drift modelling, new equipment demos)
- two credits in health and pesticide safety (safe application, storage, pesticide disposal practices to ensure human and animal health)
- two credits in pest management (pest description, pesticide characteristics, integrated pest management)
- two credits in regulations (new regulations, regulatory concerns)
Course credit applications
Individuals organizing sessions/courses for pesticide applicators are encouraged to apply for Continuing Education Credits. Complete the Request for Credit Application Form found at:
Credit applications must be submitted at least 3 weeks before the course begins and must be approved prior to the course being held.
Further information on the courses/sessions recognized for credit can be found below.
- Aerial (PDF, 102 KB)
- Agriculture (PDF, 122 KB)
- Aquatic (PDF, 99 KB)
- Biting Fly (PDF, 97 KB)
- Fumigation Restricted to Stored Agricultural Products (PDF, 99 KB)
- Greenhouse (PDF, 109 KB)
- Industrial and Forestry (PDF, 134 KB)
- Landscape (PDF, 154 KB)
- Special: Exterior Rodent Control (PDF, 94 KB)
- Special: Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates (PDF, 106 KB)
- Special: Interior Plantscape (PDF, 93 KB)
- Special: Roots in Pipes (PDF, 93 KB)
- Special: Seed Protectant (PDF, 94 KB)
- Special: Stump Treatment (PDF, 23 KB)
- Structural and Fumigation (PDF, 122 KB)
To connect with Lakeland College for information about recertification programs and exams: