Table of contents

Ukraine Help Line

The Alberta government has created the Ukraine Help Line to support Ukrainian evacuees in our province.

Contact the Ukraine Help Line if you have questions about provincial supports and services available to Ukrainian newcomers:

Services are available in English, Ukrainian and Russian
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 1-888-701-1101 (in Alberta)

Якщо у вас є запитання щодо підтримки з боку провінції та послуг, наявних для українських новоприбулих, телефонуйте на українську довідкову лінію у Альберті за номером 1-888-701-1101.

Послуги наявні на англійській, українській та російській мовах
Телефонуйте між 8:15 ранку та 4:30 вечора. Відчинено з понеділка по п'ятницю, зачинено на державні свята


Alberta’s government is committed to supporting Ukrainian newcomers fleeing the war and helping them resettle in Alberta.

The Alberta government continues to accelerate the assessment of applications for permanent residency made by Ukrainian nationals and waive fees through the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program.

Ukrainians arriving in Alberta

There are programs, resources and services available to help Ukrainians who come to Alberta.

Ongoing assistance from the Alberta government and partnering settlement agencies is helping to ensure Ukrainians arriving in Alberta can:

  • access health coverage
  • enrol children in K to 12 schools in their new communities
  • get an Alberta identification card, including a driver’s licence
  • obtain financial support
  • find licensed child care
  • get help finding work
  • access community adult learning programs to improve financial and literacy skills

See the list of provincial services below and visit Ukrainians in Alberta for more information.

  • Emergency accommodation

    Alberta’s government is providing an additional $4.32 million to help Ukrainian evacuees find temporary living spaces upon arrival.  Emergency hotel rooms will be available in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

    These accommodations are for those Ukrainian evacuees who have no other place to stay upon arrival to Alberta and who cannot access the federally funded hotel rooms due to unavailability.

    Temporary accommodations will be available for up to 14 days while they secure permanent accommodations. These 14 days do not need to be used consecutively.

    Ukrainian newcomers may also receive transportation from the airport to the hotel. As well, immigrant serving organizations will provide support services to newcomers upon their arrival, including information on how to access other supports and services.

    Contacts for emergency accommodation:

    Edmonton or Red Deer – Catholic Social Services
    Phone: 780-293-5907 (Edmonton)
    Phone: 403-396-3025 (Red Deer)

    Calgary – Centre for Newcomers
    Phone: 587-832-5133
    Email: [email protected]

    Lethbridge – Lethbridge Family Services
    Phone: 403-320-1589

    Medicine Hat – Saamis Immigration Services Association
    Phone: 403-502-6076

  • Settlement agencies who can help

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Budget 2023 provides a total of $7 million over three years for continuous settlement and language supports. The new funding would build on existing English language learning opportunities and supports for successful employment and economic integration. It would also ensure funding is available to meet gaps and emerging settlement and integration needs.

    Through the Alberta Settlement and Integration Program, the Government of Alberta provides financial support to settlement agencies to deliver ongoing services and to develop projects to help eligible newcomers who live and work in Alberta.

    Alternatively, visit Ukrainians in Alberta to learn about additional organizations in your area that can help.

    Settlement agencies funded by the Alberta government:

    Calgary Catholic Immigration Society
    Phone: 403-262-2006

    Catholic Social Services
    Phone: 780-432-1137 (Edmonton)
    Phone: 403-346-8818 (Red Deer)

    Centre d'accueil pour nouveaux arrivants francophones – Settlement Services for Francophone Newcomers in Calgary and Edmonton and Rural Small Centres in South, Central and North Alberta
    Phone: 403-532-6334 (Calgary)
    Phone: 780-760-5300 (Edmonton and Grand Prairie)

    Centre for Newcomers (CFN)
    Phone: 403-569-3325 
    Email: [email protected]

    Edmonton Immigrant Services Association
    Phone: 780-474-8445

    Francophonie Albertaine Plurielle-FRAP-Society – Settlement and Integration Services in Edmonton region, Fort McMurray and Red Deer
    Phone: 780-540-8682 (Edmonton main)
    Phone: 587-520-0561 (Edmonton north)
    Phone: 780-750-8153 (Fort McMurray)

    Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers
    Phone: 780-538-4452

    Kneehill Adult Learning Society – Kneehill Adult Learning & Settlement and Integration Services
    Phone: 403-443-5556

    Taber & District Community Adult Learning Association – Taber Newcomer Support Services
    Phone: 403-223-1169

    YMCA of Northern Alberta
    Website: Community Support Program for Foreign Workers 
    Email: [email protected]

    Learn more about settlement support programs in Alberta

    The Alberta Association of Immigrant Serving Agencies (AAISA) is an organization which represents agencies that provide resettlement, settlement and integration services to newcomers across Alberta.
    Email: [email protected]

    Email [email protected] if you have general questions about settlement and language supports or visit Ukrainians in Alberta.

    Federal settlement services

    The Government of Canada has made settlement services available to all Ukrainian temporary residents and their dependents in Canada until March 31, 2024. Visit the Government of Canada website for more information.

  • Language services

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Through the Alberta Settlement and Integration Program, the Alberta government provides financial support to settlement agencies to deliver ongoing language services to newcomers who live and work in Alberta. These services include language assessments, language training and education referrals and drop-in English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes.

    English language assessments and training referrals

    Catholic Social Services – Language Assessment and Referral Centre
    Phone: 780-424-3545

    Immigrant Services Calgary – Calgary Language Assessment and Referral Centre
    Phone: 403-265-1120

    EAL classes

    EAL drop-in services offer eligible newcomers alternative English language learning opportunities when they cannot access regular programming. For more information, contact:

    Cultural Connections Institute – The Learning Exchange (CCI-LEX) – EAL Drop-In Services
    Phone: 780-944-0792

    Taber & District Community Adult Learning Association – Taber English as an Additional Language Drop-In Centre
    Phone 403-223-1169

    The Immigrant Education Society (TIES) – Drop-in ESL, Literacy and Basic English Classes
    Phone: 403-235-3666 (Forest Lawn Calgary office)
    Phone: 403-291-0002 (Whitehorn or Westwinds Calgary office)

    Email [email protected] if you have any general questions about settlement and language supports.

    Community Adult Learning Program

    Through the Community Adult Learning Program, the Government of Alberta is providing an additional $1 million to help improve your reading, writing and learning skills once you arrive in Alberta.

    Organizations across Alberta deliver part-time, non-formal learning opportunities that support the development of literacy, numeracy, language, digital or other life skills.

    Learn more about the Community Adult Learning Program.

    Federal language services

    The Government of Canada has made settlement services, including language assessments and language classes, available for Ukrainian temporary residents and their dependents in Canada. Visit the Government of Canada’s website to find free services near you or the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program for more information.

    Alberta public libraries

    Alberta public libraries are a valuable resource for newcomers. With more than 300 locations, library visitors can access books and magazines, computer and internet access, educational and language tools, resources on immigration and job seeking, and much more.

    Details on programs and services, and where newcomers can go to get more information, are on Library supports for newcomers.

  • Getting a driver’s licence or identification

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Alberta is making it easier for Ukraine evacuees to exchange their Ukraine driver’s licence for an Alberta Class 5 licence.

    The Government of Alberta has established a 1-year driver’s licence exchange program for Ukrainian evacuees holding a Category B (passenger vehicles) or BE (passenger vehicles with a trailer) driver’s licence.

    Like all new residents to Alberta, obtaining an Alberta Class 5 licence, holders of a Ukrainian Category B or BE driver’s licence must surrender their physical Ukrainian driver’s licence to a registry agent, along with any non-English documents translated into English. The Ukrainian driver’s licence will be authenticated by the Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction Special Investigations Unit. Ukraine evacuees will be provided with a paper driver’s licence which will allow them to drive while they await their driver’s card in the mail.

    The Government of Alberta is committed to ensuring that all users of Alberta’s roads are safe, including drivers, passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians. Exchanging licences is an additional support for the Ukraine evacuees that demonstrates Alberta’s commitment and compassion to the longstanding relationship with the people of Ukraine.


    To get a Class 7 driver’s licence (for example, learner for cars but can drive mopeds alone), a person must be at least 14 years old.

    To get a Class 5 driver’s licence (drive cars and trucks alone), a person must be at least 16 years old.

    To get an identification card, a person must be at least 12 years old.

    Proof of identity

    Documents that contain a photo and prove your identity include:

    • non-Canadian passport
    • a driver’s licence or ID card issued by an official government
    • permanent residence card issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

    Examples of documents that are accepted for proof of legal entitlement in Canada (these documents may also contain a photo and can be used to prove your identity):

    • Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) issued by IRCC
    • work permit issued by IRCC
    • study permit issued by IRCC
    • confirmation of permanent residence issued by IRCC
    • permanent residence card issued by IRCC

    Example of documents that are accepted for proof of Alberta residency, which must contain an Alberta address:

    • utility, gas, phone or cable bills
    • bank or credit card statements
    • residential lease agreement
    • pay stub
    • written confirmation of Alberta employment
    • written confirmation from an Alberta educational institution
    • statutory declaration completed in a registry agent office stating you are a resident of Alberta

    No proof of identity

    If you do not have ID, or your ID has been lost, stolen, or destroyed a registry agent can help you. Contact a registry agent office to determine the options available to you.

    Parental or guardian consent requirement for children under the age of 18

    A person under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian when applying for a driver’s licence or ID card for the first time. A guardian is someone who is responsible for the care and well-being of the person who is under the age of 18.


    The cost of a driver’s licence, for a 1-year term, is $16. In addition, the registry agent may charge a service charge of up to $10.

    The cost of an ID card, for a 1-year term, is $8. In addition, the registry agent may charge a service charge of up to $8.

    There are additional costs for taking driver’s licence tests, which vary depending on the test being taken.

    Class 7 driver’s licence

    Alberta’s Class 7 learner’s licence allows you to drive the following vehicles:

    • moped (by yourself)
    • all Class 5 or Class 6 vehicles (with someone over 18 who has a full Class 5 driver’s licence)

    To obtain a Class 7 driver’s licence:

    • visit a registry agent and pass the Class 7 knowledge test – the knowledge test is available in Ukrainian
    • pass a vision assessment to ensure your vision is good enough to drive
    • purchase your licence card

    Class 5 driver’s licence

    Alberta’s Class 5 driver’s licence allows you to drive the following vehicles by yourself:

    • 2-axle single motor vehicle
    • motorhome without airbrakes unless you hold an air brake certificate
    • tow a trailer with 1 or more axles if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes
    • moped, recreational vehicle, or any combination of recreational vehicles and a trailer, if the trailer has 2 axles or less and is not equipped with air brakes

    For more information on getting an Alberta driver’s licence, visit: Exchange a licence from outside Alberta.

  • Getting health coverage

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Health insurance in Alberta

    In Alberta, Ukrainian evacuees who have applied for health insurance coverage are issued an Alberta Personal Health Card, which they present to receive insured health services without charge from physicians/practitioners, labs, imaging centre and hospitals. The health insurance coverage for Ukrainian evacuees is provided through the Ukrainian Evacuee Temporary Health Benefits Program.

    How to apply for health coverage and get a health card

    1. Complete an application form.

    The application form is included in your welcome package and is also available online.

    2. Take photocopies of your identification and immigration documents.

    3. Mail your application and documents or take them to a registry office.

    You can mail your completed application form and copies of your identification and immigration documents or you can take these documents to a health registry office.


    Alberta Health
    PO Box 1360, Station A
    Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3

    Registry office:

    A list of health registry locations is available online.

    A personal health card will be mailed to you.

    If you have questions, you can send an email to [email protected].

    Your Alberta personal health card

    Due to the high volume of applications, the processing time of applications may be longer than 6 to 8 weeks due to the increased volume of applications. Mail delivery time is not included in the processing time. Processing of these applications is completed at the Alberta Health office.

    When you receive your Alberta personal health card, remember to carry it with you. Your card may be laminated.

    Show your personal health card and photo identification whenever you need to get health services.

    Medicals for the immigration process or other third parties are not included with the exception of the chest x-ray.

    Your Alberta personal health card can only be used for health services in the province of Alberta. If you plan to travel outside Alberta, obtaining private health insurance is recommended.

  • Health services

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    The AHS Support for Ukraine website provides information about health services and resources for Ukrainian evacuees in Alberta. Information can be found in English, Ukrainian and Russian.

    How to get health information and advice

    Call Health Link at 811. Translation services are available. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    How to get mental health or addiction information and advice

    Call 1-877-303-2642. Translation services are available. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    How to find a doctor

    Ask your host family or search online:

    How to find a hospital

    Call Health Link at 811 or visit: Hospitals and facilities.

    How to get emergency health care

    Call 911

    How to get emergency prescription drug coverage and emergency dental and optical services

    1. Call Alberta Supports – Help is available in more than 100 languages
      • Call between 7:30 am to 8 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
      • Toll free: 1-877-644-9992 (in Alberta)
      • TTY toll free: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta) – ask to speak to Alberta Supports.
      • TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton) – ask to speak to Alberta Supports
    2. Call the 24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre

    Alberta Health Benefits program

    Once you receive your Alberta personal health card, you can apply to receive additional health benefits that includes on-going coverage for prescription drugs, essential over-the-counter medications, eye exams and glasses, dental care, essential diabetic supplies and emergency ambulance services.

    Ukrainian evacuees will receive an Alberta Health Benefits (Ukrainian Evacuee) application form in the mail after they receive their Alberta personal health card. Complete this form and mail it using the pre-addressed envelope provided (registries cannot accept this form) or fax it to the number below.

    Alberta Seniors, Community and Social Services
    Health Benefits Contact Centre
    P.O. Box 2222 Station Main
    Edmonton, AB  T5J 5H3

    Fax to:
    780-415-8386 in Edmonton
    1-855-415-8386 toll free outside Edmonton

    An Alberta Health Benefits card will be mailed to you once the application has been processed. Please allow more than 2 to 4 weeks for processing. If you require emergency prescription drug coverage and/or emergency dental and optical services while your application is being processed, call Alberta Supports or the 24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre as listed above.

    Remember to carry both your Alberta personal health card and the Alberta Health Benefits card whenever you need health services.

    Your Alberta Health Benefits card can only be used for health services in the province of Alberta.

    If you have already received an Alberta personal health card but did not receive an Alberta Health Benefits (Ukrainian Evacuee) application form, you can request one by sending an email to [email protected].

    More information

    For more information about health services in Alberta, visit:

  • Education

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Освіта в Альберті | Choosing a School in Alberta (PDF, 316 KB)

    The Alberta government has announced more than $12 million in additional funding to school authorities to support newly enrolled students from Ukraine.

    Accessing education services

    To register in a school, parents should:

    1. Contact your local school board(s) and they will help you find your children’s school(s). 

    2. Follow the school board’s directions and contact the school to complete the student registration form.

    3. The school may request the following documentation:

    • Immigration documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that a person receives prior to or when entering Canada, such as temporary resident documents, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Refugee/Refugee Claimant documents. These documents should be provided for both parent(s) and child, if possible.
    • Student birth certificates or other documentation that shows the parent/child connection if the IRCC documents do not name family members.

    4. If you cannot immediately produce these documents, the school can still register your children. Provide the documents when they become available.

  • Child care

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Accessing child care

    Displaced Ukrainian parents can call Child Care Connect toll free at 1-844-644-5165 to:

    • learn about child care options in your area
    • get help finding the licensed child care program in your community that works best for your family

    Child care subsidy

    Ukrainian parents can apply for funding to cover the cost of licensed child care, through the Child Care Subsidy Program.

    Eligible child care programs include: daycare, preschool, out-of-school care, or a day home provider through a licensed family day home agency.

    To be eligible:

    • you must be a Ukraine National
    • you must have immigration documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you are in Canada due to fleeing the war in Ukraine
    • your children must attend a licensed child care program in Alberta
    • your children must be 12 years of age or younger and not yet attending Grade 7
    • you must be accessing child care because you (and your partner) are working, attending school, or looking for work; or because you or your child has a special need, or have an exceptional circumstance

    Displaced Ukrainians can apply up until January 31, 2024, to receive subsidy for 12 months. 

    Income testing is not required for displaced Ukrainians to receive the Child Care Subsidy for one year.

    After 12 months, if parents wish to continue receiving subsidy, they must re-apply to the Child Care Subsidy program. Those reapplying will be assessed based on the family’s total gross income and other subsidy eligibility factors.

    Displaced Ukrainian parents can access and submit applications on this page until January 31, 2024.

    Parents will receive the maximum subsidy amount for each child. The subsidy amount will be different for each family. It will depend on whether the child is school age and the type of care requested. Use the estimator tool and enter $0 for income to estimate the amount of subsidy you are eligible to receive.

    To apply, download and complete the application form (PDF, 94 KB) and submit it by email or fax:

    Email: [email protected]
    Fax: 780-422-5692

    If you have questions, contact the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.

  • Finding work

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    There are a number of organizations and resources that can help you find work and build your career in Alberta:

    • Alberta Supports Centres provide employment programs and services across Alberta, including job fairs, workshops, information sessions, and labour market information.
    • alis provides career, learning and employment information for Albertans.
    • Immigrant-serving agencies offer services to newcomers, including help with finding a job.

    The Government of Canada’s Job Bank has a list of current job opportunities in Alberta. To cut down on your job search time, find the jobs that match your skills and experience through Job Match.

    Apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

    To work in Canada or access government programs and benefits, you will need a 9-digit number known as a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

    Service Canada is responsible for issuing SINs. To learn about what documents are required to apply for a SIN, or to apply for your SIN online, go to:

    Alternatively, you may apply for your SIN in-person at a Service Canada location. If you choose to apply in person, it is strongly recommended that you book an appointment prior to your visit by using the Service Canada request form available at:

    Learn more about working in Alberta.

    Apprenticeship training

    Alberta has expanded the eligibility for apprenticeship education programs to allow Ukrainian temporary residents to participate. Go to Tradesecrets: Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training to learn about apprentice eligibility.

  • Getting your credentials and qualifications recognized

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Educational and professional qualifications and standards differ from country to country. You may need to have your international credentials assessed to see how they compare with Alberta's standards.

    Educational credentials

    Your educational credentials are certificates that show that you have completed high school or post-secondary education. The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) will assess your international academic credentials and provide an assessment that indicates how your credentials compare to standards in Alberta.

    An IQAS assessment can be used to support your application for employment, admission to select post-secondary institutions, and licensure with select Professional Regulatory Organization (PRO). As an agency designated by the Government of Canada, IQAS also completes Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) for immigration purposes.

    For more information, visit International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).

    Regulated occupations and trades

    Many trades and occupations in Alberta are regulated, which means you need to be licensed by a provincial Professional Regulatory Organization (PRO) to work in that occupation. Other common terms that mean the same thing as regulated are “certified” and “registered.” Regulated occupations and trades require recognition by professional regulatory bodies to ensure workers meet standards of practice.

    To learn more about regulated occupations in Alberta, visit Foreign Qualification Recognition.

    To learn more about designated trades in Alberta, visit Apprenticeship and Industry Training.

  • Banking

    Читати цю інформацію українською мовою

    Opening a bank account

    Most Albertans keep their money in a bank, a credit union or ATB Financial. You must pay a service charge for most banking services. Financial institutions offer services such as:

    • chequing, savings and other types of accounts
    • utility, telephone and credit card bill payment services by phone, online or at an automated teller machine (ATM)
    • safety deposit boxes
    • debit cards and credit cards
    • loans
    • money exchange, money orders and traveller’s cheques

    When you open an account, you will need to provide:

    • photo identification (ID)
    • a second piece of ID
    • your social insurance number for income tax purposes

    You do not need to have a job or deposit a certain amount of money into your account.

    Visit Opening a bank account to learn more about opening a bank account, or visit a financial institution near you.

  • Financial supports for Ukrainians

    Emergency Financial Support and Benefits for Ukrainian Newcomers to Alberta fact sheet

    Екстрена фінансова допомога і виплати для новоприбулих до Альберти українців

    The Government of Alberta is providing financial benefits for eligible Ukrainian newcomers fleeing the war.

    Budget 2023 provides $3.6 million to support the continuation of financial benefits similar to Income Support for Ukrainian evacuees, which began on March 28, 2022.


    Applicants are encouraged to access all other available assistance programs, including the Government of Canada’s financial assistance program, which is a one-time, non-taxable benefit to take care of any basic needs while getting settled in Canada. Applicants can receive this benefit and apply for Alberta’s benefits at the same time.

    Find out more about the program or to apply online at Ukraine immigration measures: Financial assistance –

    Eligibility for Alberta’s benefits will be based on income and asset levels. Assets in Ukraine that are no longer available or accessible are not considered. The financial benefit rates align with Income Support benefits and will also be based on family composition.

    How to apply

    To find out more about available financial supports in Alberta, call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992 (or 780-644-9992 in Edmonton) and press option 8. Services are available in English and Ukrainian.

    Emergency financial support

    One-time emergency benefits may be available to those with limited income and assets who are facing an emergency.

    Benefits cover costs for:

    • Replacement clothing
    • Emergency food
    • Accommodation
    • Repairs to major appliances
    • Repairs to home
    • Damage deposit
    • Eviction due to outstanding rental arrears
    • Utility arrears, connection, deposit, reconnection
    • Escaping abuse (while in Alberta)
    • Other emergency goods and services

    For more information:

    1. Call Alberta Supports – Help is available in Ukrainian as well as more than 100 languages
      • Call between 7:30 am to 8 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
      • Toll free: 1-877-644-9992 (in Alberta)
      • TTY toll free: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta) – ask to speak to Alberta Supports.
      • TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton) – ask to speak to Alberta Supports
    2. Call the 24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre

    Government of Canada benefits

    The Government of Canada provides information about different types of benefits which you may be eligible for.

  • Housing

    As part of the $1.2 million to settlement services announced in April, the government is funding the Alberta Association of Immigrant-Serving Agencies (AAISA) and Catholic Social Services to streamline housing options for Ukrainians that will complement and reduce pressure on other government systems. This will ensure a coordinated approach to housing options for Ukrainians arriving in Alberta.

    If you are a Ukrainian in need of housing, or an Albertan with an offer of accommodation, visit Ukrainians in Alberta or email [email protected].

    Alberta social housing and rent supplement programs

    Ukrainian evacuees were previously unable to apply for Alberta’s Rent Supplement Program due to requirements of citizenship, refugee or immigration status. With $6.8 million made available in late 2022-23, Ukrainian evacuees are eligible to apply for the same social housing and rent supplement programs as other Albertans. Go to Rent assistance and Affordable housing programs for more information on how to apply.

    Rental information – tenants

    There are many resources available to help understand your rights and responsibilities as a renter in Alberta:

  • Ways to help

    Canadian businesses are invited to donate goods through the Call to action: Canadian Industry for Ukraine website. Donations from Canadian businesses will go to Ukrainians and other displaced persons making Canada their home.

    If you would like to make a cash donation to support displaced Ukrainians, please visit Get Involved – Ukraine Safe Haven. Donations can be directed to a specific province or territory.

    Miles4Migrants uses donated frequent flyer miles, credit card points and cash to help those individuals in need of flight assistance to be able to come to Canada. To donate go to Miles4Migrants – Support a flight for a refugee – Miles4Migrants

    You can also visit the Ukrainians in Alberta website to find ways to help.

  • Other supports and resources

    Women’s Hub

    Additional resources for women and girls can be found through the Women’s Hub, including supports for finding work, accessing financial assistance, staying healthy and staying safe.

    Resources for your community

    Learn how to be prepared for emergencies and disasters in Alberta. Find resources and advice to help with personal preparedness.

    Government of Canada tax resources

    Learn about taxes and develop an understanding of how the Canadian tax system works.

    Find information about free tax clinics.

    Occupational health and safety

    Information to help workers stay healthy and safe on the job is available in Ukrainian. To find translated resources, visit the Occupational Health and Safety Resource Portal

Alberta’s response

Prioritizing AAIP applications

Alberta’s government is prioritizing the assessment of applications for permanent residency made by Ukrainian nationals through the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP). Candidates must still meet all program criteria.

Application and post-decision service fees for the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program are also being temporarily waived for new applications and requests made by Ukrainian nationals. These measures will be reviewed quarterly.

Read the news release to learn more (March 4, 2022).

Supporting humanitarian aid in Ukraine

Financial support for Ukraine

Alberta’s government is contributing more than $23 million in support for Ukraine, including:

  • $10 million to the Ukrainian World Congress’s Unite with Ukraine campaign for humanitarian aid
  • $2.2 million for settlement and language services delivered across the province
  • $1 million to the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal, organized by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress and the Canada Ukraine Foundation, to help coordinate and deliver humanitarian aid.
  • $5 million to the Ukrainian World Congress to equip 5,000 members of the Ukrainian Territorial Defence Force with defensive equipment.
  • $5 million to the Canada Ukraine Foundation for additional humanitarian aid.
  • $350,000 to the Ukrainian Canadian Congress Alberta Provincial Council to support their efforts.

Albertans who wish to donate to the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal can visit

Canada’s response

The Government of Canada has implemented immigration measures to make it easier for Ukrainians to come to Canada, and is providing financial assistance and other federal settlement services for Ukrainian newcomers.

Living and working in Alberta

There are programs available to help individuals live and work in Alberta, Canada. Explore options to work temporarily or to become a permanent resident.

Come to Canada

To find out if you can apply for permanent residence, please use the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Come to Canada online tool. It will help you determine what immigration programs you may be eligible to apply for, and how to submit an application.

Bringing family to Canada

You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you are at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must support your relative financially when they arrive.

Find out more about family sponsorship.

Federal Express Entry

Express Entry is an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) electronic application system that manages and selects applicants for permanent residence who have skilled work experience. To access Express Entry, you must first complete a profile. If you are accepted into a pool of candidates, IRCC may invite you to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Find out more about the Federal Express Entry.

National Occupational Classification

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted authoritative resource on occupations. It is used to categorize occupations in Canada by skill levels. The NOC can help you determine if your work experience is eligible under Canada’s immigration or work permit programs.

Learn more about the National Occupational Classification.

A tutorial is also available to help you determine your NOC code.


Helping Ukrainians get an Alberta driver’s licence (April 14, 2023)

Accommodation funding for Ukrainian evacuees (March 31, 2023)

Supports for Ukrainian evacuees (March 21, 2023)

Expanding supports for Ukrainian evacuees (February 24, 2023)

More language programs for Ukrainian newcomers (February 23, 2023)

Supporting displaced Ukrainian students (February 21, 2023)

Supporting Ukrainian students in schools (November 14, 2022)

Premier's task force to support Ukrainian newcomers (November 10, 2022)

Helping Ukrainian newcomers settle in Alberta (July 3, 2022)

Helping Ukrainians stay in Alberta (March 4, 2022)

Helping Ukrainians settle in Alberta (April 20, 2022)

Supporting humanitarian aid in Ukraine (February 23, 2022)

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on