Get a Class 5 driver’s licence
A Class 5 driver’s licence allows you to drive most cars, trucks or vans by yourself.
A Class 5 licence also allows you to drive all Class 5 motor vehicles, which includes:
- a 2-axle single motor vehicle
- a motorhome without airbrakes unless you hold an air brake certificate
- tow a trailer with one or more axles if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes
- a moped, a recreational vehicle, or any combination of recreational vehicles and a trailer, if the trailer has 2 axles or less, and isn’t equipped with airbrakes
You must drive for 2 years with a Class 5 Graduated Driver's Licence (GDL) with no suspensions for the last year to be able to upgrade to a full Class 5 driver's licence.
It’s recommended, though not mandatory, to take a Driver’s Education course before getting a Class 5 driver’s licence.
To get a Class 5 GDL and full Class 5 driver’s licence you must:
- have had a Class 7 learner’s licence with one year of driving experience
- be a least 16 years old
- if you’re under 18, you must have written consent from your parents or guardian
- be at least 18 years old
- be a Canadian citizen, a Canadian permanent resident, hold a valid work visa, and/or have an approved refugee claim from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
- have proof that you live in Alberta
- have valid ID
- have proof of residence in Canada
Visit the Residency and ID requirements page to find out what types of documents you need.
If you are coming to Alberta from another province or country, you may be able to exchange your licence.
Temporary residents, such as students, visitors and temporary foreign workers, can't get a driver's licence because they don't live in Alberta permanently. However, they may be able to continue using a driver’s licence from their home province or country.
Get a Class 5-Graduated Driver's licence (GDL)
Before you can get a full Class 5 driver’s licence, you must have a Class 5 Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) for at least 2 years with no suspensions in the last year.
While driving with a Class 5-GDL licence, the following rules apply:
- you cannot drive with more people than there are seat belts in your vehicle
- a GDL licence will be suspended at 8 demerit points
- blood alcohol level of the driver must be 0%
- Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 licence upgrades are not allowed
- a GDL driver cannot be the accompanying driver to a learner
To get a Class 5-GDL licence, follow these steps:
Step 1. Pass a road test
Schedule a road test through a registry agent.
Registry agents have a road test information sheet that lets you know what you need, including:
- vehicle requirements
- required documents
- fees and cancellation/no-show policies
The cost of the road test is set by the registry agent, and can vary by location.
Step 2. Pass a vision test
A registry agent will test your vision to see if your vision is good enough to drive.
The registry agent may also ask for a medical report from your doctor.
Step 3. Purchase your licence card
If you successfully pass the road test and vision test, you will be able to purchase a Class 5 GDL licence card.
You will be given a temporary licence that’s valid for 30 days or until your licence card comes in the mail.
Your licence card should arrive in 21 business days. If it hasn’t arrived in 21 days, call the number on the back of your temporary licence and you’ll be given instructions on what to do. Visit a registry agent within 60 days of applying, or you may be charged for a replacement.
When you get your licence card, you’ll have to destroy the temporary licence.
Upgrade to a full Class 5 driver's licence
To get a full Class 5 driver's licence, you'll need to:
- drive for 2 years as a Class 5-GDL driver
- have no licence suspensions during the last year
- take a Class 5 advanced road test at a registry agent
- if you pass the advanced road test, purchase your licence card
Road test and knowledge test
The cost of the knowledge test and road test are set by the registry agent, and can vary by location.
The maximum charges for the tests are outlined in the Registry Agent Product Catalogue (0.4 MB).
Exchanging your licence for a class 5 GDL or full Class 5 licence
The fee for exchanging your licence card (not including GST) is $13.00.You can extend your licence expiry for several years.
|# of years valid||Cost|
Contact Motor Vehicles
Edmonton and area: 780-427-7013
Other areas in Alberta: 310-0000, then 780-427-7013 (toll-free)
8:15 am - 4:30 pm, Mon - Fri. Closed statutory holidays.