COVID-19: Stop the spike!

  • Follow the rules: Mandatory public health measures in effect across the province.
  • Get vaccinated: Everyone 30+ can book now. Everyone 12+ can book starting May 10.

Register your radiation equipment

Radiation equipment used in Alberta like X-ray equipment and high-powered lasers require a registration certificate.


The Radiation Protection Act and Regulation requires that owners register their radiation equipment. This can be done by getting a radiation equipment registration certificate from an authorized Radiation Health Administrative Organization.

How to get certified

Follow these steps to get a certificate:

Step 1. Determine if you need to register equipment

You’ll need to get a radiation equipment registration certificate if you or your company owns any of the following designated equipment:

  • diagnostic or therapeutic x-ray equipment
  • particle accelerators
  • baggage inspection x-ray and security x-ray equipment
  • cabinet x-ray and diffraction and analytical x-ray equipment
  • industrial x-ray equipment
  • irradiation x-ray equipment
  • class 3b or 4 lasers

Step 2. Find out who can register your equipment

Certain professional colleges, associations and academic institutions can register your radiation equipment on behalf of Alberta Labour.

Step 3. Get your equipment inspected and tested

Authorized Radiation Protection Agencies can inspect and test your equipment.

Once you've found a suitable agency, contact them directly to set up an inspection date.


Connect with OHS:

Phone: 780-415-8690 (Edmonton)
Toll free: 1-866-415-8690 
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

Ask an Expert