Apply for a legal change of name

Find out how to legally change your name in Alberta.


A person residing in Alberta may have their name legally changed, under certain conditions.

Name restrictions

There are restrictions respecting personal names when choosing, altering or correcting a legal name on Vital Statistics certificates and documents.

Name changes that do not require a legal change of name

Not all changes to a name require a legal change of name through the government.

Married last name

In Alberta, you do not have to legally change your name after getting married. You may assume a married last name.

Correcting information

If you were born in Alberta, correcting an error on a birth record may be done with an amendment rather than a legal change of name. If you were not born in Alberta, you must request the amendment from the jurisdiction in which you were born.

Change in parents

If you are changing the parentage on your child's Alberta birth record, you can change your child’s name at the same time if the child is younger than 18 years old.

Contact Vital Statistics for more information about amending parentage, since these issues can be complex.


An applicant may apply to legally change:

  • their own name
  • the name of their spouse/partner with their consent
  • the name of their child/ward with the consent of the child when they are 12 to 17 years of age

As an applicant, you must be:

  • an Alberta resident
    • you must remain a resident of Alberta throughout the change of name process
    • you are not an Alberta resident if you are in Alberta temporarily, maintain your regular residence outside of Alberta
  • at least 18 years old

If you are younger than 18 years old, you can be the applicant if you are (one of the following):

  • legally married
  • widowed
  • divorced
  • living in an adult interdependent relationship (term carries legal meanings similar to common law, but not the same)
  • the parent of a child
  • the guardian of a child

You must provide your acceptable ID.

Ineligible applicants

A person cannot apply to change their name if they:

  • have ever been designated a dangerous offender (see section 753 of the Criminal Code of Canada)
  • have ever been designated a long-term offender (see 753.1 of the Criminal Code of Canada)
  • are currently listed on the Alberta High Risk Offender Registry
  • have ever been convicted of an offence under section 490.011(1)(a), (c), (c.1), (d), (d.1) and (e) of the Criminal Code of Canada and are a designated sex offender


There is a $120 government fee for a legal change of name. This fee is for all the name changes included on one application form.

Registry agents will also charge a service fee. Service fees vary among registry agents.

There is a fingerprinting fee. Contact fingerprinting agencies to confirm the cost as fees vary.

There is a cost for a criminal record check or police information check.

How to apply

Step 1. Read the Information Guide

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers.

If you are having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

Change of Name Information Guide

Step 2. Complete the Application for Change of Name form

Application for Change of Name

Step 3. Gather the supporting documents

Gather the required supporting documents. The registry agent will confirm what supporting documents you will need.

This includes:

  • acceptable ID
  • proof of name
  • electronic fingerprint confirmation letter
  • criminal record check or police information check

This may also include:

  • proof of marital status
  • proof of relationship if you’re changing the name of a child/ward

Step 4. Get fingerprints

Get electronic fingerprints for each person 12 years old and older who is changing their name.

Contact a fingerprinting agency to confirm the cost and how long it will take.

Only electronic fingerprints are accepted.

A confirmation letter will be mailed to you from the RCMP in Ottawa.

The confirmation letter must be submitted with your application.

Fingerprints may be obtained from:

Step 5. Provide a criminal record check or police information check

Applicants aged 18 or older must submit a criminal record check or police information check, which is obtained in person from a recognized law enforcement agency.

  • criminal record checks and police information checks from third-party providers are not acceptable

The criminal record check or a police information check must be submitted with the application within 30 days of it being issued to the date the legal change of name service is started at a registry agent office.

Step 6. Find any existing birth certificates

All Alberta birth certificates issued before a legal change of name is processed must be surrendered with your Application for Change of Name. This applies to each person whose name is being legally changed.

Surrendered Alberta birth certificates will be replaced free of charge with new Alberta birth certificates reflecting the new name.

Step 7. Submit the application form

Take the completed Application for Change of Name form, acceptable id, electronic fingerprint confirmation letter, criminal record check or police information check, birth certificates and all other required supporting documents to a registry agent office.

The registry agent will review all the documents for accuracy and send them to Vital Statistics for processing.

Photocopies and faxes are not accepted for some documents. Check with the registry agent.

After you apply

Change of Name certificates

Once your application to legally change a name has been approved and processed, a Legal Change of Name Certificate with the new name is automatically produced for each person whose name has been changed. Certificates are mailed to you by regular mail.

Note: If you have already legally changed the name and just want to get another "legal change of name certificate", see Order a change of name certificate.

Birth certificates

If you surrendered Alberta birth certificates, they will be replaced free of charge showing the new name.

If you did not surrender any Alberta birth certificates, you may purchase new ones from a registry agent.

If you were born outside of Alberta, you must contact the Vital Statistics office in the jurisdiction in which you were born for new birth certificates. Alberta Vital Statistics does not return certificates to any jurisdiction outside of Alberta.

Marriage certificates

If you want to amend your marriage record with the new legal name:

Reclaiming Indigenous names

Residential schools survivors and persons who were part of the Sixties Scoop may reclaim their Indigenous name at no cost.

Descendants such as children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and spouses/partners of residential school and Sixties Scoop survivors are also eligible for name changes.

Applicants must be Alberta residents.

To apply for a no-cost Legal Change of Name:

  1. Request a Legal Change of Name (LCN) directly through the Vital Statistics office at [email protected].
    • do not submit your application through a registry agent
  2. Vital Statistics will issue an LCN certificate.
  3. Using the LCN certificate received from Vital Statistics and a completed Fee Waiver Application Form, you may apply to amend any Alberta Vital Statistics record that reflects your name.

Certificates like birth certificates surrendered with an amendment request will be cancelled and replaced with the Indigenous name free of charge.

Contact Vital Statistics directly if you have any questions about reclaiming an Indigenous name.


Connect with the Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction Contact Centre:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-4225

For the deaf or hard-of-hearing:
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)

Email: [email protected]

Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 4W7

Vital Statistics
Document Reception
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 5C5