If you have made every effort to find the other party, the court may allow you to apply to change a child’s name without serving the other party.

How to apply

Step 1. Fill out the initial forms

In the Application to Dispense with Consent to Change a Child’s Name (PDF, 165 KB) info pack, fill out the first 2 forms:

  • Originating Application – Dispense with Consent to Change Name
  • Affidavit – Dispense with Consent to Change Name

Step 2. Serve the initial forms

You are required to serve the forms to both the other party and Alberta Vital Statistics at least 10 days notice before filing your application.

You can serve the other party in person or by mail.

You can serve your forms to Alberta Vital Statistics in person or by mail.

In person

Bring your forms to:

Alberta Vital Statistics Office
Brownlee Building, Ground Floor
10365 97 St
Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7
Phone: 780-427-7013
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm

Recorded mail

Mail your forms to:

Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton, AB
T5J 9Z9

Your forms will not be considered to be ‘served’ until either:

  • Alberta Vital Statistics signs to acknowledge delivery
  • 7 days after you mail them

Step 3. Fill out the remaining forms

In the Application to Dispense with Consent to Change a Child’s Name (PDF, 165 KB) info pack, fill out the last 2 forms:

  • Affidavit of Personal Service
  • Affidavit of Service on Registrar of Vital Statistics

Step 4. File the remaining forms

File the forms at the Court of King’s Bench.

There is a filing fee of $250.

Step 5. Change the child’s name

If your application is accepted, the court will grant an order giving you permission to change a child’s name.

To complete a change of name application, contact a registry agent.

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.