Updating vital statistics documents

Legal name changes, and change a birth, marriage or death record.


Learn more about updating personal information, records or certificates.

Birth records

If you find an error on an Alberta record, you may be able to correct it with an amendment.

Correct a birth, marriage, death or stillbirth record

A person’s sex indicator on their Alberta birth record may be amended to M, F or X.

Sex indicator amendment on an Alberta birth record


Find out how to legally change your name in Alberta.

Apply for a legal change of name

Rules are in place when choosing, altering or correcting a legal name.

Restrictions respecting personal names

A father/co-parent may be added to a birth record at the time of a child’s birth or later.

How to change a child’s name if you can’t find the other party.

Change a child's name without consent


Connect with the Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction Contact Centre:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-4225

For the deaf or hard-of-hearing:
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)

Email: [email protected]

Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 4W7

Vital Statistics
Document Reception
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 5C5