Call 911 if you or the person you are reporting is in immediate danger.
Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-387-5437 (KIDS) to get help if you, or children you know, are being neglected, abused or sexually exploited. If you believe a child is at risk, you must report it. Help is available in multiple languages 24/7.
Child abuse, neglect and exploitation have many different warning signs. Learn to recognize them.
Child Intervention helpline
We are here to help. Connect with Alberta Child Intervention to:
- report abuse and sexual exploitation – find out more about reporting and helping someone, or
- find Children’s Services and other community resources in your area
To get help, call 1-800-638-0715 and then:
- press 1 if you are from Red Deer or a community south of Red Deer
- press 2 if you are from a community north of Red Deer
- Mental Health Helpline: 1-877-303-2642 for mental health advice 24/7
- HealthLink: Call 811 to find health care and get health advice 24/7
- Addiction helpline: Call 1-866-332-2322 for addiction support 24/7
Other reporting helplines
If you suspect someone is experiencing other types of abuse or family violence, you can call the:
- Family Violence Information Line: 310-1818 to get help anonymously in more than 170 languages 24/7 or chat online from noon to 8 pm daily
- Alberta provincial abuse helpline: 1-855-4HELPAB (1-855-443-5722) to report abuse in more than 100 languages from 7:30 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday
Fact sheets and other information
- Fact sheets and other online resources – for children, parents and professionals to identify, prevent and deal with child abuse and sexual exploitation
Child and Youth Advocate
- Office of the Child and Youth Advocate at 1-800-661-3466 – if you are a child or youth receiving child intervention service, or their family, and you need someone to listen and help stand up for your rights
- Local emergency shelters – for individuals and families escaping family violence or facing homelessness
- Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters – a map of member shelters across Alberta
Victim services and legal supports
- Local victim services units – if you need help with restraining and protection orders or other supports for victims of crime
- Local sexual assault centres – if you have experienced any form of sexual violence
- Legal Aid Services at 1-866-845-3425 – if you need help with legal issues
- Native Counselling Services of Alberta – if you need help with court processes or Children’s Services, or connecting to youth supports and other community resources
- Steps to file a restraining order or emergency protection order – if someone has made you afraid for your safety
Family and social supports
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.