You can apply for supports if you:

  • are living in an abusive family situation or you have already left
  • do not have enough money to leave an abusive family situation or start over
  • you do not qualify for other ongoing Alberta benefits
  • are at least 18 years old
  • live in Alberta and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant

What you get

You may get help with expenses and other supports to get to safety and/or start a new life. This could include:

  • emergency transportation to a safe place (for example, women’s shelter)
  • costs to stay in a hotel or motel for a short time if shelters are full or not available
  • an allowance to buy personal items not provided by the shelter
  • emergency items not available through shelters such as prescription drugs, child care, dental and eye care services
  • one-time costs to move within Alberta or Canada if you must leave your community to escape a threat of violence
  • a one-time allowance to help set up a new home
  • the damage deposit for a new home
  • costs for basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter
  • costs for telephone calls and transportation to access counselling or legal advice
  • extended health coverage for adults and children from families with limited incomes

How to apply

Call Alberta Supports to apply:


Hours: 7:30 am to 8 pm
Toll free: 1-877-644-9992 (in Alberta)

Weekends, holidays and after hours

Toll free: 1-866-644-5135 (in Alberta)