Part of Find supports

Safer Spaces certificate to end tenancy

Tenants can end their tenancy agreement without financial penalty by getting a certificate confirming they're victims of domestic violence.

Explore pages in:
Safer Spaces Certificate to end tenancy

How it works

The Residential Tenancies (Safer Spaces for Victims of Domestic Violence) Act allows for victims of family violence to end a residential tenancy agreement without financial penalty.

To do this, tenants must get a Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy, and use it to give at least 28 days' notice to their landlord. The tenant is still required to pay rent during the notice period.

For more information, see:


If you are at risk of domestic violence, you do not have to wait until you receive your certificate before moving out. Call 911 if you're in immediate danger. Call 310-1818 for information on supports available to you.

How termination affects co-tenants

When a lease ends due to a certificate being issued, the tenancy agreement of everyone living with the victim will be terminated too. The victim is not responsible for telling other tenants that the tenancy is ending, but can if they feel comfortable doing so. Otherwise, the landlord will be required to notify these tenants of the termination.

The other tenants should consult the landlord if they wish to stay at the premises. The landlord may start a new lease with them, but does not have to.


Tenants can request a certificate if:

  • they are named on a rental agreement with a landlord
  • their safety, or the safety of a dependent child or dependent adult in the home, is at risk if the tenancy continues

Safer spaces information