The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act) provides access to unpublished information or records held by public-sector bodies. Individuals can submit a FOIP request to correct their own personal information.
Public-sector bodies under the FOIP Act include:
Education, health care and local government sectors administer their own records under the guidance of the FOIP Act. Some of these include:
- post-secondary educational institutes
- school boards
- regional health authorities, but health information has additional restrictions under the Health Information Act
- privacy in the Alberta private-sector is protected under the Personal Information Protection Act
Before submitting a request
Do research and determine if you need to make a FOIP request.
- Check if the information is already publicly available online, by request or on individual agency websites.
- Publicly accessible records are also available through Alberta’s Open Government Program which hosts open data and a catalogue of publications.
If the information you want is not publicly available, you can submit a FOIP request. FOIP service fee estimates (PDF, 345 KB).
Use the Find a FOIP Coordinator directory to ask for advice on the most appropriate method of obtaining access to the information you need or help you produce a description of the records for your request.
Submit a request
Public-sector bodies will have 30 calendar days to respond to a FOIP request. This duration may be extended if the volume of the request is large. The response will include reasons if there are exclusions.
There are different request forms and processes available depending on the information you are looking for, and the area of government you are requesting from.
Separate FOIP request forms are required for:
All other FOIP access requests made to the Alberta government are done through Alberta.ca Account, with a basic or verified account. An initial application fee of $25 may be required (this may increase depending on the request).
Connect with the FOIP/PIPA help desk to ask questions about the collection, use, disclosure and privacy of information within Alberta.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.