Foster care records

Adults can request their foster care records if they were in the care of the Alberta government at any point during their childhood.


If you were in foster care at any point during your childhood, whether or not you were adopted, you can make a request for your foster care records.

These documents provide an overall view of your time in care of the department, which may include the following information:

  • developmental milestones
  • education
  • health
  • foster care placements
  • family background

How to apply

If you have received child intervention services within the last 2 years, your request for records should be made to the most recent Child and Family Services office who provided services for you.

If you are currently receiving child intervention services and are over 16 years of age, your request for records should be made to your current case manager.

For all other requests, You can download and fill out the Request for Post Guardianship Information form or contact Records, Registry and Connections for a copy of the form.

There is no cost to receive your records.

You can also request these records from FOIP.  There may be a cost associated with a request through their office.


Connect with Records, Registry and Connections:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-6387
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]