Security service worker licence

Apply for or renew the licence you need to work as a security service worker in Alberta.

Licensed security jobs

Security service workers monitor, patrol and guard property and protect people. In Alberta, you must be licensed to work as a:

  • security guard
  • patrol dog handler
  • alarm responder
  • loss prevention worker
  • body guard

Licences are issued under the Security Services and Investigators Act by Alberta Justice.

Policy manual

Read the Security Programs Policy Manual for more information about a security service worker licence.


The security service licensing fee is $100. Your licence is valid for 2 years.

The renewal process is the same as the initial application.

Security service workers cannot hold a second licence as a locksmith or automotive lock bypass worker.

Your individual licence is portable. This means your licence is still valid if you change employers or if you work for multiple employers.


To apply for a licence you must:

  • be over 18 years old
  • be eligible to work in Canada
  • be fluent in English
  • have no criminal record
  • have no outstanding criminal charges
  • not be the subject of a criminal investigation

All security service workers must meet a specific English fluency standard. This is a level 5 benchmark according to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks.


All security service workers in Alberta must:

  • successfully complete an approved security training course
  • score 80% or higher on the provincial final exam, or
  • have a valid security licence from another Canadian province or territory

There are 2 approved training courses. Take either the:

  • Alberta Basic Security Training Course, or
  • Accredited Basic Security Training Course

These courses must be completed through an approved training provider.

Contact Security Programs if you have previously worked in law enforcement to determine if the prior training is equivalent:

  • You will need to provide proof of training, like a certificate or letter.

Final exam

After you have successfully completed your final exam with a score of 80% or higher, you will be emailed your training certificate within one week of our office receiving your training report.

Exam rewrites, challenges or reviews

For information about exam rewrites, or to find out if you are eligible to challenge an exam, contact Security Programs.

Baton training

In order to carry a baton, you must:

Baton training re-certification is required every 36 months.

Training licences

Training licences are available if you are currently enrolled in an approved training course. Your employer must submit the training licence application for you.

Training licences are valid for 30 days and will be converted to a standard licence after you have completed the training course and passed the final exam.

Training licences are not portable. This means if you change employers, your new employer must apply for a new training licence for you.

Apply for or renew your licence

If you are on a work or study permit, contact Security Programs for application and renewal steps.

Step 1. Records check

See your local police service website to find out how to get your documents.

All three searches are mandatory – no exceptions:

  • criminal record check
  • vulnerable sector search
  • local police database search

For all classes of licences:

  • your photo must be date-stamped by the photographer
    • it does not need to be signed on the back
  • these details are important when applying for a police information check:
    • security services are designated as essential services
    • you must specify the employment type as “security services” – regardless of licence class
    • ask for a print/mail copy of your results to attach to your application – if needed, police services can email results to [email protected]

These documents expire 90 days after they have been issued.

Step 2. Fill out the forms

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers.

If you are having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

Fill out all the forms in this package:

Application for Individual Licence

Step 3. Gather your documents

When you apply, you will need to provide photocopies of your:

  • Canadian photo ID
  • approved training course certificate, or
    • copy of active licence from a Canadian province or territory
  • 40-hour baton use-of-force training certificate (if applicable)

You will also need to provide a current:

  • police information and criminal record check
  • dated passport-size colour photo

Step 4. Submit and pay for your application

There are 2 ways to submit your application.

We cannot accept licence applications or renewals by e-mail.

In person

Take your application and documents to a registry agent that offers Security Programs licensing services.

Pay the licensing fee and service charge at the registry:

  • $100 security service licensing fee, or
  • $160 dual security service and investigators licensing fee, and
  • $9 service charge

If your application is approved, you'll get a temporary licence that's valid for 60 days.

By mail

Send us your:

  • completed application form
  • required documents
  • payment or online payment receipt for:
    • $100 security service licensing fee, or
    • $160 dual security service and investigators licensing fee

Pay the licensing fee with one of the following (made payable to the Government of Alberta):

  • certified business cheque, or
  • certified personal cheque, or
  • money order, or
  • bank draft


Pay by credit or debit online:

  • print and mail the receipt with your completed application

Do not use this online payment if you are submitting your application at a registry agent.

Make your payment online

Mail your application to:
Security Programs
Alberta Public Safety and Emergency Services
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2M1

If your application is approved, a temporary licence valid for 60 days will be emailed to you.

After you apply

Your licence card will be mailed to the address in your application.

You must provide a photocopy of your licence card to your employer and carry the original with you while you’re working.

Change, cancel or report a licence

Follow the below steps to:

  • update your personal information
  • modify your licence class
  • cancel your licence
  • report a lost, stolen or destroyed licence

Lost or stolen licences must be reported to Security Programs within 24 hours.

Step 1. Fill out the form

Trouble opening PDF forms?

Fillable forms do not open on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.

Update to Individual Licence

Step 2. Submit the form

There are 2 ways to submit the Update to Individual form:

We cannot accept licence applications or renewals by e-mail.


[email protected]


Security Programs
Alberta Public Safety and Emergency Services
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2M1


Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 1-877-462-0791
Email: [email protected]

Security Programs
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2M1