Resources for professional archaeologists
This page includes a collection of information intended to guide professional archaeologists working in Alberta.
All archaeological investigations in Alberta must be conducted by a professional who meets the minimum requirements set out under the Archaeological and Palaeontological Research Permit Regulation.
Prior to applying for their first permit in Alberta, an archaeologist must request a review of their qualifications by emailing the Director, Archaeological Survey.
Archaeological research permits
An approved researcher or consultant can apply for a permit using the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system.
After creating and activating an OPaC account, contact the Head, Regulatory Approvals and Information Management to have permissions activated. Proof of approval to hold an archaeological permit may be requested.
Survey notes and info bulletins
This section includes documents that address requirements for how archaeological work is to be conducted and reported. Documents are added and revised often so active researchers and consultants should check for updates on a regular basis.
- Archaeological Survey Note 2001-02 (revised 2009) – Submission Reminders and Additional Guidelines (PDF, 29 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Note 2006-02 – Stone Circle Testing Procedures (PDF, 27 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Digital Data Submissions (PDF, 36 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Maps in Permit Applications and Reports (PDF, 97 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Confidentiality of Reports and Overviews (PDF, 23 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Overdue Reports (PDF, 28 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Permit Obligations and Employment Change (PDF, 28 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Wind Power Projects (PDF, 31 KB)
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Winter Conditions (PDF, 28 KB)
Archaeological site forms and guide
- Alberta Archaeological Site Form (ZIP, 139 KB)
- Archaeological Site Form Guide (PDF, 447 KB)
- Borden Number Reservation Application (PDF, 261 KB)
Spatial data standards
- Archaeological Survey Information Bulletin – Spatial Data Standards (PDF, 694 KB)
- Spatial Data Check V7 Messages Definitions (PDF, 130 KB)
- Spatial Data Common Errors (PDF, 96 KB)
- Shapefile Template (ZIP, 9 KB)
- Geodatabase Template (ZIP, 66 KB)
Recording historic structures
Archaeologists who encounter historic structures or structure remains during the conduct of historic resources impact assessment must record them in accordance with the requirements set out by the Heritage Survey.