Resident and family councils

Residents of licensed care facilities and their families can establish a council to look after and enhance the quality of life for residents.

Explore pages in:


The legislation gives residents and their families the right to establish self-governing councils at any continuing care home and supportive living accommodation that serves 4 or more people.

This includes residents and their families in supportive living accommodations, type A continuing care homes (formerly nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals), and type B continuing care homes (formerly designated supportive living). Councils provide an opportunity for residents and families to discuss matters with operators and staff including:

  • maintaining and enhancing residents' quality of life
  • requests, concerns and solutions

Once a council has been established, operators or their representatives must provide support to the councils and attend meetings upon request.



This Toolkit is intended to help residents and families set up and maintain resident and family councils, by providing sample agendas, minute templates and describing steps to initiate a council. The toolkit is also a resource for operators in supporting resident and family councils.

Fact sheets


Continuing Care Home and Supportive Living Accommodations Complaints

  • Provides contact information for Albertans if they have concerns in continuing care.

Complaints Poster for Home and Community Care

  • Provides contact information for Albertans if they have concerns in home and community care.


Compliance to the Continuing Care Act, Continuing Care Regulation, Accommodation Standards – Supportive Living Accommodation, and Accommodation Standards – Continuing Care Home, will be monitored by Alberta Health, information regarding compliance to legislation will be posted on the standards licensing and public reporting page.


Connect with us for concerns or complaints related to Resident and Family Councils:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays). You can leave a voice mail message outside of these hours.
Toll free: 1-888-357-9339, option 3
Fax: 780-644-8729

Alberta Health
Attn: Compliance and Monitoring Branch
PO Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2N3

If you have a general inquiry about resident and family councils, submit your question or message by phone or online on the general inquiries page or contact Continuing Care.