Table of contents

Workplace incidents

You must report serious injuries or incidents to OHS as soon as possible if it:

  • results in a death
  • results in a worker being admitted to hospital
  • involves an unplanned or uncontrolled explosion, fire or flood that causes or may cause a serious injury
  • involves the collapse or upset of a crane, derrick or hoist
  • involves the collapse or failure of any component of a building or structure

When an incident happens

Do not disturb the scene of a reportable incident unless:

  • you're directed to do so by a provincial government OHS officer
  • you have to attend to someone who's been injured or killed
  • you have to take action to prevent further injuries
  • you have to protect property that's endangered by the incident

Who should call OHS

The employer or prime contractor, if there is one should report an incident or injury as soon as possible to OHS.

If there's no prime contractor, the contractor or employer responsible for the work site must report the incident.

Needed info

When you contact OHS to report an incident or injury, be prepared to provide:

  • general descriptions of what happened
  • location of incident or injury
  • site contact's name, job title and phone number(s)
  • time and date of the incident or injury
  • name of employer
  • employer's relationship to the work site (owner, prime contractor, contractor or supplier)
  • injured worker's name, date of birth and job title (if applicable)
  • name and location of hospital the worker was taken to (if applicable)

After you call

The employer or prime contractor, if there is one at the work site must investigate any reportable injury or incident. Involve the joint work site health and safety committee or health and safety representative, if one exists, in the investigation and prepare a written report as follows:

  • the circumstances of the incident and what, if anything, can be done to prevent another incident
  • the report must be provided to an OHS officer, if requested

Government involvement

An OHS officer may be sent to the incident scene to conduct an investigation.

An OHS officer has the authority to:

  • enter the scene of the incident
  • ask questions to figure out the causes and circumstances of the incident
  • ask for information from anyone who may have knowledge related to the incident
  • seize or take samples of any substance, material, product, tool, appliance or equipment that was present at, involved in or related to the incident
  • stop all or some activities at the work site
  • take other appropriate actions to ensure compliance with the legislation and ensure health and safety is protected


Connect with OHS:

Phone: 780-415-8690 (Edmonton)
Toll free: 1-866-415-8690 
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

Ask an Expert

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.