Report unsafe work

If you are concerned about an unsafe work site or conditions, you must report it to your employer or supervisor to determine next steps.

Important to know

A worker who believes that an unsafe or harmful work site condition or act exists or has occurred must report it to the employer or supervisor.

How it works

If you think something at your workplace is unsafe for you or other workers, but does not put you in imminent danger, you must:

  1. Tell your employer – your employer is responsible for looking into your concern.
    • If you feel your concern is not addressed, then take the problem to your health and safety committee or representative – if there is one at your workplace.
  2. If there is no committee or representative, or if you are still not satisfied, you should connect with the OHS Contact Centre and ask someone to look into the situation.
  3. Anyone has the right to call, whether directly involved in the work or not.
  4. It's better if you identify yourself, but even if you don't, your complaint will be followed up.

You can’t be dismissed or disciplined for following the rules of the OHS law.

Worker responsibility

As a worker you must immediately tell your employer or supervisor about any hazards in the workplace.

You must report the dangerous condition or danger to health and safety to your employer, supervisor or another person designated by the employer or supervisor so they can take action to address the situation.

The law requires you to work safely and co-operate with your employer or supervisor by following the health and safety rules for the job.

The rules have specific requirements that you must follow, including use of safety equipment when doing certain kinds of jobs or putting on personal protective equipment, such as footwear, eyewear, headwear and hearing protection.

Employer responsibility

As an employer, you must do everything you reasonably can to protect the health and safety of your workers.

  • take necessary, corrective action in a timely manner when unsafe work is reported
  • do a hazard assessment of your work site, followed by appropriate measures to deal with the concern
  • when doing hazard assessments, you must involve the joint health and safety committee or health and safety representative, if there is one. If your work site is exempt from having a committee or representative, you must involve workers affected by the hazards.
  • ensure that all workers who may be affected by the hazards are familiar with the necessary health and safety measures or procedures before the work begins

If you have questions about how to handle a job you think is unsafe, connect with the OHS Contact Centre.


Connect with OHS:

Phone: 780-415-8690 (Edmonton)
Toll free: 1-866-415-8690 
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton)
TTY: 1-800-232-7215

Ask an Expert