Decisions and notifications
Listed below are the decisions and notifications issued by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2018 (PDF, 89 KB) - new as of April 6, 2018
- Responding to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta (OIPC) Order F2013-06 (hereafter called "the OIPC Order”), the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (hereafter called "the Registrar”) has implemented stronger system and process approaches intended to further narrow the release of motor vehicle information, strengthen the protection of privacy and the security of the system and data, improve monitoring and auditing of access to information, and enhance accountability for direct access clients.
- To address the OIPC Order, the Registrar has already implemented a stronger monitoring and auditing process for clients having direct access to the Motor Vehicle Electronic System (MOVES). Building on the technical solution implemented in response to the OIPC Order, the Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2018 introduces a new type of direct access that is intended to provide easier and more secure direct access to different categories of Alberta Public Bodies, Law Enforcement Agencies, and other government entities.
- Specialized Business Functions (SBF) access is a new type of direct access that further narrows what information clients are able to access when using MOVES information for specific operative needs. SBF access is agreement, purpose, event, and record specific. SBF requires less training and reduces the error of interpreting complex information. SBF clients will be required to declare upfront the intended purpose and use of the information. This will allow for increased capability to control access to MOVES data and to monitor and audit the access that occurs.
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2017 (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2015 (PDF, 33 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New Product 01/2012 (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New Product 01/2011 (PDF, 209 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2010 (PDF, 29 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2008 (PDF, 28 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2006 (PDF, 135 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2005 (PDF, 24 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 05/2004 (PDF, 83 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 04/2004 (PDF, 84 KB)
- Registrar's Notification on New Product 03/2004 (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New product 02/2004 (PDF, 20 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2004 (PDF, 119 KB)
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)