Decisions and notifications
Listed below are the decisions and notifications issued by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
- Registrar’s Decisions: Notification 04/2020 (PDF, 146 KB) – New as of December 21, 2020
- To permit the implementation of automatic parking solutions by Alberta municipalities the Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services (the “Registrar”) has developed 3 new Special Business Function Motor Vehicle Information Products (SBF MVIPs) and replaces Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2018 – REPLACED (PDF, 89 KB) in its entirety with Registrar’s Decision: Notification RDN 04/2020 (PDF, 146 KB). The new SBF MVIPs reuse existing SBF search requests to permit community peace officers to verify the validity of disabled parking placards. To further reduce insurance fraud and the cost of motor vehicle insurance in Alberta the Registrar is approving SBF Access for Insurance Crime Prevention Bureau, a division of the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC). This will permit IBC to investigate theft, fraud, possession of stolen property or any other illegal activity, offence or crime related to or associated with motor vehicles. The Registrar’s decision is to withdraw the Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2018 – REPLACED (PDF, 89 KB) and replace it with Registrar’s Decision: Notification RDN 04/2020 (PDF, 146 KB).
- Registrar’s Decisions: Notification 03/2020 (PDF, 58 KB) – New as of December 21, 2020
- The Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services (the “Registrar”) has further clarified the release model under s. 2(1)(m) with respect to Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2004 – AMENDED (PDF, 119 KB). The Registrar has relaxed the model for insurance companies. Insurance companies are large organizations with legal departments that are often involved in litigation processes. Such cases may not be related to motor vehicle accidents. Relaxing the policy to permit insurance companies to request information for the purpose of serving documents will reduce their need to retain law firms for representation in Court. This will reduce the administrative burden including operation costs for insurance companies and could further reduce insurance costs for Albertans.
- Registrar’s Decisions: Notification 02/2020 (PDF, 68 KB) – New as of December 21, 2020
- To further clarify the release of information to law enforcement agencies pursuant to Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2004 – AMENDED (PDF, 119 KB) the Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services (the “Registrar”) has declared a new type of information to be released by the Registrar under s. 2(1) of AMVIR (Access to Motor Vehicle Information Regulation). Type V Information is released by the Registrar through Image Access (IA), as Alberta Motor Vehicle System (MOVES) Digital Photos. The Type V Information that may be released by the Registrar through MOVES Digital Photos is grouped as: Driver’s Licence Digital Photo and Identity Card Digital Photo. Digital Photos stored on the Registrar's motor vehicle information system are collected and compiled for the purpose of identifying licensed operators and to prevent individuals from obtaining fake identification cards and driver’s licenses. To protect the integrity of Registrar’s motor vehicle information system Type V Information released by the Registrar is view only.
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2020 (PDF, 43 KB)
- To improve, simplify and further streamline the verification process for creating and maintaining the MyAlberta Digital ID (MADI) account issued by Alberta government the Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services (the “Registrar”) has approved changes in the process presented in Registrar’s Decisions: Notification 01/2017 – REPLACED (PDF, 34 KB). The purpose of the Registrar’s decision is to permit the government to match MADI’s Identity Verification Service (IVS) information against MOVES, on an ongoing basis, for the purpose of enabling Albertans to establish a verified digital identity.
- The verification process is revised to include search, retrieval, and validation steps to simplify and shorten the process for all users and to greatly reduce failures caused by data entry error. For this purpose, changes in the interaction between MADI’s IVS and MOVES are required. Previously, the required data was input by the user and verified against MOVES. A yes or no response was issued by MOVES if the verification was successful. The new verification process requires the user to input only the Audit Control Number (ACN) located on the back of their card and the Driver’s Licence (DL)/Motor Vehicle ID (MVID) number. If the verification is successful the required data is released from MOVES, populated in IVS, and collected in MADI upon the user’s confirmation and consent. The FOIP Office in Service Alberta has prepared a Privacy Consult Addendum for the MADI Program. A Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) Amendment for the MADI Program outlining the changes in the process, and providing a brief assessment of any possible risks to privacy will be presented to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) of Alberta.
- To simplify the collection of information required by the MADI Program, the Registrar’s decision is to withdraw the Registrar’s Decisions: Notification 01/2017 – REPLACED (PDF, 34 KB) and replace it with Registrar’s Decision: Notification RDN 01/2020 (PDF, 43 KB).
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2018 – REPLACED (PDF, 89 KB)
- Responding to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta (OIPC) Order F2013-06 (hereafter called "the OIPC Order”), the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (hereafter called "the Registrar”) has implemented stronger system and process approaches intended to further narrow the release of motor vehicle information, strengthen the protection of privacy and the security of the system and data, improve monitoring and auditing of access to information, and enhance accountability for direct access clients.
- To address the OIPC Order, the Registrar has already implemented a stronger monitoring and auditing process for clients having direct access to the Motor Vehicle Electronic System (MOVES). Building on the technical solution implemented in response to the OIPC Order, the Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2018 introduces a new type of direct access that is intended to provide easier and more secure direct access to different categories of Alberta Public Bodies, Law Enforcement Agencies, and other government entities.
- Specialized Business Functions (SBF) access is a new type of direct access that further narrows what information clients are able to access when using MOVES information for specific operative needs. SBF access is agreement, purpose, event, and record specific. SBF requires less training and reduces the error of interpreting complex information. SBF clients will be required to declare upfront the intended purpose and use of the information. This will allow for increased capability to control access to MOVES data and to monitor and audit the access that occurs.
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2017 – REPLACED (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar’s Decision Notification 01/2015 (PDF, 33 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New Product 01/2012 (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New Product 01/2011 – AMENDED (PDF, 209 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2010 (PDF, 29 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2008 (PDF, 28 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2006 (PDF, 135 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2005 (PDF, 24 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 05/2004 (PDF, 83 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 04/2004 (PDF, 84 KB)
- Registrar's Notification on New Product 03/2004 (PDF, 34 KB)
- Registrar's Notification of New product 02/2004 (PDF, 20 KB)
- Registrar's Decision Notification 01/2004 – AMENDED (PDF, 119 KB)
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.