Provincial grazing reserves

There are 32 provincial grazing reserves within the province that are administered by the Alberta government.


Alberta’s provincial grazing reserves (PGRs), or commonly referred to as community pastures, are natural (native) grassland and partially cleared and seeded to tame forage. They range in size from 6,602 acres (Seven Persons) to 76,681 acres (Pinhorn). The overall average is close to 22,500 acres.

The main purpose of these reserves is to provide summer pasture for Alberta's farmers and ranchers on public land, enabling them to use their own land for crop and hay production.

The reserves also offer a variety of recreational opportunities including:

  • cross-country skiing
  • hiking
  • hunting
  • sightseeing
  • snowmobiling
  • trail riding

Others who use PGRs are:

  • gravel haulers
  • oil and gas well operators
  • pipeline companies
  • seismic crews

Large portions of the reserves also provide excellent habitat for wildlife.

Alberta’s PGRs are administered by the Alberta government. Responsibility for the care, handling and management of livestock and the forage resources for provincial grazing reserves was transferred to grazing reserve associations in 1999.

Use of the grazing reserves by the associations is authorized by grazing management agreements.

Accessing PGRs

You must follow terms and conditions when using provincial grazing reserves for recreation or other purposes. Information on recreating or accessing on provincial grazing reserves can be found at:

PGR operations information

For information on fence requirements or how to apply to graze on a PGR, see:

PGR maps and contact information

To assist recreational and other users, there are maps showing designated access routes and trails in the grazing reserves. These are available from the regional grazing reserve offices. They can be found at:

Using a map will give you the best experience in a grazing reserve. It also helps you minimize damage to grazing land and conflicts with livestock and other users.

For any questions about provincial grazing reserves, please contact the appropriate agrologist through the PGR contact information page:

Provincial Grazing Reserves - Contact information and maps