Accessing provincial grazing reserves

Information on recreating on or accessing provincial grazing reserves (PGRs).

Explore pages in:

Recreational access on PGRs

You must know and follow conditions when accessing provincial grazing reserves (PGRs) for recreational purposes.

Before you head out, follow the steps outlined below to learn more about a grazing reserve and to reduce the risk of conflicts with livestock and other land users, and causing damage to the land during your visit.

How to access PGRs

To enter any PGR, follow these 4 simple steps:

Step 1. Locate the PGR

Step 2. Use the web map

  • Use the web map to find the specific access conditions for the PGR you are entering.

Step 3. Review the general recreational access conditions

Step 4. Plan ahead and use respect

  • Plan ahead and use respect during your visit. Failure to comply with the Recreational Access Regulation and specific access conditions may result in charges under the Recreational Access Regulation.

General recreational conditions

Under section 9(3) and 9(4) of the Recreational Access Regulation, recreational users on agricultural land must:

  • not litter
  • have direct control of any animal brought onto the agricultural disposition land
  • not park vehicles so that they block an approach to land
  • not enter or use any building or improvement on the disposition
  • not cause any damage to the agricultural disposition land or the property of the disposition holder
  • leave gates and other property as they were found, open or closed
  • comply with an applicable recreational management plan, if any
  • comply with any terms and conditions imposed by the Local Settlement Officer
  • comply with an order of a director, if any

PGR Listing (alphabetical)

Bear CanyonBear Canyon
Black BearBlack Bear
Blueberry MountainBlueberry Mountain
Bow IslandBow Island
Buck MountainBuck Mountain
Connor CreekConnor Creek
Fort VermillionFort Vermilion
High PrairieHigh Prairie
Jack PineJack Pine
Kleskun LakeKleskun Lake
Lonesome LakeLonesome Lake
Medicine LakeMedicine Lake
Onefour Research Ranch 
Purple SpringsPurple Springs
Rocky Mountain HouseRocky Mountain House
Sage CreekSage Creek
Sang LakeSang Lake
Seven PersonsSeven Persons
Smoky LakeSmoky Lake
St. PaulSt. Paul
Three CreeksThree Creeks
Twin RiverTwin River
Wolf LakeWolf Lake

Personal information collection and use notification

Personal information you provide to Alberta Forestry and Parks is collected under the authorization of Section 11 of the Recreational Access Regulation, and is being managed in accordance with Part 2 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

The information being collected will be used by Alberta Forestry and Parks in this regard and will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent by Alberta Environment and Protected Areas.


For inquiries about PGR access, please email [email protected].

Connect with one of our rangeland agrologists for inquiries about grazing reserve operations. See the contact list at: Land Management – Contacts.

For other questions about access to agricultural public land, call 310-LAND (5263).