Civil enforcement agencies employ bailiffs to collect on people’s outstanding debts. These include:

  • child and spousal support
  • court orders
  • parking fines
  • rent
  • taxes

To pay for outstanding debts, bailiffs take away and sell people’s property, such as:

  • vehicles
  • homes
  • cash
  • luxury items
  • jointly-owned possessions

How to collect an outstanding debt or do an eviction

Step 1. File a court order

To do this, follow this process:

File an application or claim in court

Step 2. Serve the court order

You will need to serve the court order through a process server.

To get a list of Alberta’s process servers, contact:

Office of the Sheriff – Civil Enforcement

Hours: 8:15 am - 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
780-422-2481 (Edmonton)
For toll-free calling, dial 310-0000 before an Alberta phone number.

Step 3. Wait for the other party’s response

Court order from a Provincial Court

If you filed your court order in Provincial Court, the other party should respond by following this process:

Respond to an Originating Application

Court order from the Court of Queen’s Bench

If you filed your court order in the Court of Queen’s Bench, the other party should respond by following this process:

Respond to an application or order from the Court of Queen’s Bench

Both responses end with you and the other party attending a court hearing.

Step 4. Hire an agency

If the other party doesn’t respond to your court order, hire one of these agencies:

1216808 Alberta Ltd o/a Prairie Bailiff Services
1-855-883-1012 (toll-free)

Allied Shortridge Civil Enforcement Agency
1-800-643-3171 (toll-free)

Alternative Bailiff Services
1-866-643-0900 (toll-free)

Consolidated Civil Enforcement
1-800-313-4270 (toll-free)

Serv-It Bailiff Services
 1-866-424-9020 (toll-free)

Stewart Belland and Associates
1-877-465-9725 (toll-free)

Western Civil Enforcement Agency
1-877-707-7376 (toll-free)

Step 5. Wait for an agency’s bailiff to collect or evict

A bailiff has the right to enter the other party’s home or business to collect on their outstanding debts and / or evict them. A bailiff can do this without a court order if:

  • the other party lets them enter
  • the court rules that force isn’t necessary for them to enter

If the other party doesn’t allow a bailiff to enter their home or business, the bailiff will obtain a court order to do so. The cost of getting this order will be passed onto the other party.

When a bailiff appears, they must show their:

  • Alberta Civil Enforcement Bailiff badge
  • picture ID

Advance notice

Usually, the other party will be given advance notice that their property is about to be seized. In some instances, the court will instruct a bailiff to take the other party’s property without giving any advance notice.

Use of force

When a bailiff is authorized to use force, it must be reasonable force. Usually, this means that a locksmith will enter the other party’s home or business by opening a locked door. After a bailiff enters, they can perform their work duties even if they’re asked to leave.

Sheriffs and police officers

As a safety precaution, bailiffs may request that sheriffs or police officers accompany them when they enter a home or business.


If a bailiff takes your vehicle, they’ll usually report this to the police. Check with your local police station before you report your vehicle as missing.


If your landlord threatens to evict you or take your property for late rent, you have these options:

Your landlord cannot evict you or take your property. Only a bailiff can do this.