Year in review
The year in review period for Podium Alberta funding is July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. The funding an athlete received through Sport Canada’s Athlete Assistance Program – during this 12-month period – will be used to calculate their eligible Podium Alberta amounts.
Applicants must have been a resident of Alberta for 12 months prior to being eligible for Podium Alberta funding. Residency in Alberta after July 1, 2018 will affect eligible funding amounts.
Podium Alberta, also known as the Alberta High Performance Athlete Assistance Program, supports Alberta’s high performing athletes by:
- helping athletes continue their pursuit of athletic excellence at the highest levels of national and international competition
- encouraging athletes to stay in Alberta to live and train
- enabling athletes to successfully pursue excellence in sport while fulfilling their educational goals
- increasing athlete access to high-performance coaching and sports science practitioners
- enhancing training and competitive opportunities available to athletes
Since 2008, Podium Alberta has provided over 2,800 grants to 874 athletes, worth over $11.18 million. We are proud of the funding committed to date, and proud of our athletes.
To be eligible for Podium Alberta funding, applicants must:
- have been nominated and accepted for carding status under Sport Canada’s Athlete Assistance Program
- have received Athlete Assistance Program funding between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020 (year in review)
- have been a resident of Alberta since July 1, 2018 or earlier (at least one year prior to the year in review)
- residency after July 1, 2018 may result in partial funding
- be training in Alberta
- exceptions are made if the applicant can prove:
- that they cannot receive the required level of training in Alberta and are out of the province temporarily during the year (for example, due to lack of facilities, coaching, competition, national team requirements)
- that they must attend a post-secondary institution out of province because the course of study is not available in Alberta
- that it is more financially feasible to attend a post-secondary institution out of province
- other extenuating circumstances that require the applicant to be out of province
- exceptions are made if the applicant can prove:
- show a commitment to the community and sport service with activities like:
- mentoring less-experienced athletes
- coaching/assistant coaching with a provincial, community or school program athlete/team
- volunteering in an administrative or ambassadorial role with either a provincial, community or school program – or not-for-profit organization
- not be receiving funding from another province or territory
- not be under sanction as per the Canadian Anti-Doping Policy (PDF, 1.8 MB)
During the year in review, Podium Alberta provides an athlete with up to:
- $365 per month for each month of senior level (C1, SR, SR1, SR2, Oly) Athlete Assistance Program funding they received
- $220 per month for each month of development level (D) Athlete Assistance Program funding they received
Final Podium Alberta funding is dependent on:
- funding availability
- the total number of eligible athletes
- an applicant’s demonstration of their eligible expenses
The following items are eligible under Podium Alberta:
- standard living costs (for example, rent or mortgage, utilities, groceries, medical expenses, transportation)
- costs directly associated with training (for example, coaching, sports science, facility fees, other athlete services)
- costs associated with attending training camps and competitions (for example, entry fees, travel costs)
- sport specific equipment
- education-related expenses excluding tuition (for example, books, fees)
How to apply
- The application deadline is October 6, 2020.
- Completed applications must be submitted on or before the deadline.
- Athletes that received Podium Alberta funding in 2019 will receive an email with application instructions in early July.
- New applicants must contact Steven Patrick to get pre-screened.
Changes for 2021
Some Podium Alberta eligibility criteria have changed and come into effect in 2021. Applicants receiving funding in 2020 will be grandfathered in and not affected by this new criteria.
These changes will affect applicants for the July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 year in review (applications open in July 2021):
- Applicants must be residents of Alberta for at least 3 years prior to being eligible for funding.
- The residency eligibility requirement for new applicants will be July 1, 2017.
- Applicants will need to be a member of their respective Alberta provincial sport organization.
- Proof of membership will be confirmed with these organizations for the July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 year in review.
See the record of past recipients
Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Branch
Suite 500, 10055 106 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1G3