Minerals exploration tool kit

Information related to acquiring a permit to explore for rock-hosted metallic and industrial minerals in Alberta.

Exploration tool kit

Table 1.

Summary of RequirementsAbout minerals
Acts and RegulationsList of related Acts and Regulations
Information Letters and BulletinsInformation letters
Information bulletins - metallic and industrial minerals
ApplyElectronic transfer system (ETS)
To apply for a rock-hosted minerals permit or transfer mineral rights.
Mineral Assessment Reporting ToolsA Guideline for Preparing Mineral Assessment Reports in Alberta
Mineral assessment report checklist
Maps (updated overnight)Interactive maps
Mineral disposition information is available through an interactive mapping program. This program allows you to select location, scale and map features, and conduct basic searches.
Alberta Township Survey SystemIntroduction to ATS
For legal land description (meridian, township, range, section, legal subdivision).
Map Coordinates ConverterAlberta Geological Survey Conversion
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI)AMI searches
Information on requesting and conducting searches.
Alberta Geoscience Information

Mineral assessment reports
List of published reports available from Coal and Mineral Development.

Alberta Geological Survey (AGS)
To buy or view public geoscience information such as AGS geoscience reports, geology maps and drill core samples.

Other ResourcesMinerals prospecting tool kit


Table 2.

Check Mineral Rights and RestrictionsCheck metallic and industrial minerals interactive map. Obtain search for specific mineral rights and restrictions.
Obtain Rock-hosted Minerals Permits

Apply through ETS:

  • $625 application fee (+GST if applicable)
  • minimum 16 to maximum 9216 hectares per permit
  • lands must be contiguous (adjoining)
  • indefinite term
Obtain Approval to ExploreApply to Environment and Protected Areas for an Exploration Licence, Permit and/or Approval as appropriate.
Conduct ExplorationContact Alberta Geological Survey for relevant geoscience information and samples. Meet surface operation requirements approved by government and meet terms of rock-hosted minerals permit.
Prepare Mineral Assessment Reports

Expenditure required every two years:

  • Year 1 $7/ha
  • Year 2-3 $13/ha
  • Year 4+ $20/ha

Submit your mineral assessment report to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit on or before the deadline set in the regulations.

Reduce Permit Area
(if applicable)
Request reduction by letter to Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy and Minerals, any time in permit term. Or, include reduction in mineral assessment report, especially if work expenditure is less than required.
Transfer Mineral Rights
(if applicable)
Transfers can be submitted on ETS and instructions can be found in the ETS online training.
Terminate Permit
(one of the following)
  • Cancel permit by letter to Alberta Energy and Minerals, Coal and Mineral Development.
  • Minimum exploration spending requirements are not being met.


Connect with the Coal and Mineral Development Unit:

Hours: 8:15 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7707
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]


Alberta Energy and Minerals
Coal and Mineral Development Unit
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street *
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G6

* Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.

Calgary (drop-off location only)

Alberta Energy and Minerals
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 3W2