Minerals mining tool kit

Information related to acquiring a lease to mine for rock-hosted metallic and industrial minerals in Alberta.

Mining tool kit

To win, work and recover Crown-owned rock-hosted metallic and industrial minerals.

Table 1.

Summary of RequirementsAbout minerals
Acts and RegulationsList of related Acts and Regulations
Information Letters and BulletinsInformation letters Information bulletins - metallic and industrial minerals
ApplyElectronic transfer system (ETS) To apply for a metallic and industrial mineral permit or transfer mineral rights.
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI)AMI searches Information on requesting and conducting searches.
MapsInteractive maps
Mineral disposition information is available through an interactive mapping program. This program allows you to select location, scale and map features, and conduct basic searches. Updated overnight.
Alberta Township Survey SystemIntroduction to ATS For legal land description (meridian, township, range, section, legal subdivision).
Map Co-ordinates ConverterAlberta Geological Survey Conversion
Geoscience ResearchAlberta Geological Survey
Other ResourcesMineral assessment reports


Table 2.

Check Mineral Rights and
Possible Restrictions
Check map of metallic and industrial mineral activity. Obtain AMI Search  in area of interest.
Apply for Rock-hosted Minerals Lease

Apply through ETS:

  • Provide evidence of a rock-hosted metallic and industrial mineral deposit in the location described in the application
  • 15-year initial term
  • 15-year intermediate term, subject to escalating rental
  • Indefinite continued term if producing
Obtain Permission/Approval
to Develop Mine
Contact Environment and Protected Areas to develop the mine.
Report Crown Production
and Royalties
Forms and instructions can be found in the ETS online training.
Renew a LeaseApply in writing before the lease expires.
Transfer Mineral Rights
(if applicable)
Transfers can be submitted on ETS and instructions can be found in the ETS online training.
Terminate Activity or LeaseWhen a lease is cancelled, mineral activities permitted under lease must cease. To cancel a lease, notify Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy and Minerals. Environment and Protected Areas addresses reclamation issues relating to mine closures. Alberta Human Services addresses safety relating to mine closures.


Connect with the Coal and Mineral Development Unit:

Hours: 8:15 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7707
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]


Alberta Energy and Minerals
Coal and Mineral Development Unit
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street *
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2G6

* Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.

Calgary (drop-off location only)

Alberta Energy and Minerals
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 3W2