Our application forms have changed
To avoid delays in processing, ensure you use the most recent forms available on this page.
Old versions of the forms will not be accepted as of March 1, 2021.
Marketing of electricity or gas business is defined as:
- soliciting a person in any manner for the purpose of having that person enter into a marketing contract or of negotiating, concluding or performing the whole or any part of a marketing contract
- soliciting, negotiating, concluding or performing the whole or any part of a marketing contract on behalf of a consumer
- defined as a person who enters into a marketing contract to purchase less than 2,500 gigajoules of gas per year or 250 megawatt hours of electricity per year
Businesses that market both electricity and gas require separate licenses for each marketing activity.
If your business does not require this licence, you do not need to proceed further.
How to apply
You will need to provide:
- information on your business
- a criminal record check or police information check
- a security
- a copy of a standard marketing contract
- additional information
- payment of a licensing fee
To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of a change in:
- business address
- partners of the business if the licence is issued to a partnership
- officers or directors of the corporation if the licence is issued to a corporation
Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of ceasing to carry on the activities for which the licence was issued.
It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued, note the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.
Licensees must be able to provide confirmation of licensing on request. This can be done by providing a copy of the licence or by providing other confirmation that the business is properly licensed. This can include providing a link to the Find a Licensed Business search tool.
Business ID cards
The business must provide an identification card for persons selling on its behalf. The identification card must have:
- the person's name
- the business name, address and licence number
- must be signed by the signing authority appointed by the business
The individual must produce their identification card when asked to by a consumer or potential consumer, an inspector or director appointed under the Consumer Protection Act, or a peace officer.
Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Consumer Protection Act and its regulations associated with this licence and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.
- Section 10 regarding duties relating to documentation – marketing contract (for marketing contracts other than Internet or Telephone marketing contracts)
- Section 11.4 regarding duties relating to documentation – telephone marketing contract
- Section 12(1) regarding duties relating to documentation – Internet marketing contract
- Section 15 regarding plain language energy marketing template
Prohibited practices include, but are not limited to:
- An energy marketing business shall not solicit, negotiate, conclude or perform the whole or any part of a marketing contract including furnaces, air conditioners, water heaters, windows or energy audits, in person at a consumer's home unless the business is expressly invited into the home by the consumer by:
- phone, email, text or other electronic communication
- through a business website
- in person at the business's normal place of business or at such other place where the energy marketing business is conducting business
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta Queen’s Printer.