Home inspector licence

Get a licence to conduct home inspection services to consumers.


A Home Inspector is defined as an individual who is employed by one or more home inspection businesses to conduct home inspections.

A Home Inspection means an opinion as to the condition of a dwelling based primarily on a non-invasive examination of readily accessible features and components of the dwelling.

If you do not require this licence, you do not need to proceed further.

How to apply

You will need to provide:

  • a completed application form
  • a criminal record check or police information check
  • proof of education
  • proof that you are employed or otherwise associated by a licensed home inspection business

To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers.

If you are having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

Application form

Application for a Home Inspector Licence

Your responsibilities

Licence holders must notify Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction in writing within 15 days of ceasing to carry on the activities for which the licence was issued.

It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued, note the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.

Licensees must be able to provide confirmation of licensing on request for both their Home Inspector licence and the associated Home Inspection Business licence. This can be done by providing a copy of the licence or by providing other confirmation that the business is properly licensed. This can include providing a link to the Find a Licensed Business search tool.


Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Consumer Protection Act and its regulations associated with this licence and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.

Consumer Protection Act

Home Inspection Business Regulation

  • Section 6 regarding error and omissions insurance that must be maintained
  • Section 9 regarding licensing requirements
  • Section 22 regarding wording that is prohibited
  • Section 25 regarding compensation for damages
  • Section 26 regarding prohibitions

Designation of Trades and Businesses Regulation

General Licensing and Security Regulation

Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta King’s Printer.

Proof of education

There are 2 options for providing proof of education.

Option 1

Provide a degree, diploma or certificate in home inspection from an approved educational institution, as well as:

  • satisfactory completion of a test inspection of a dwelling supervised by an approved educational institution or a licensed home inspector holding a Certified Master Inspector (CMI) designation or a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) designation

A degree, diploma or certificate in home inspection includes:

  • Advanced Home Inspection Certificate from Professional Home Inspection Institute (PHII)
  • Alberta Home Inspector Pre-Licensure Course from NIBI (National Institute of Building Inspectors)
  • Carson Dunlop Certificate from an authorized Carson Dunlop training provider including:
    • Academy of Learning
    • Algonquin College
    • Ashton College
    • Bow Valley College
    • Carson Dunlop College
    • Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
    • Medicine Hat College
    • SAIT Polytechnic – Home Inspection Certificate of Achievement
  • Certified AmeriSpec Inspector from Amerispec Academy
  • Certified Canadian Home Inspector from AlbertaACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspector of Canada)
  • Certified Home Inspector Certificate from Canadian Residential Inspection Services Ltd.
  • Certified Home Inspector Certificate from InterNACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspectors)
  • Certified Home Inspector Pre-Licensing Training, Proctored Exams #1 and #2, and the Supervised Test Inspection from Inspection Time Training Career College
    • Formerly: Certified Home Inspector Pre-Licensing Training, Proctored Exams #1 and #2 from Inspection Time Inc.
  • Global Property Inspections Training Course (120 hours) and Ride Along Training (80 hours) from National Property Inspections, Inc.
  • Home Inspection Master Course (120 hours) from The American Home Inspectors Training Institute, Ltd.
  • Home Inspection Training Course from Saltus Professional College
  • Home Inspection Training Program Certificate from Pillar To Post
  • Home Inspections Certificate from Canadian Institute of Home Inspectors (CIHI)
  • Residential Home Inspections Certificate from Holmes Academy

Note: The following education is no longer offered. Coursework successfully completed from the previous program will be accepted for the purposes of applying for a Home Inspector licence:

  • Carson Dunlop certificate granted by NorQuest College
  • ISS – Home Inspector Training (Program) from Inspection Support Services Inc. 
  • Residential Home Inspection Certificate from Inspect4uInc.

Additional degrees, diplomas or certificates may be added to this list. For consideration, submit details with your application, or directly to the director at the address on the application.

Option 2

Provide an approved home inspection designation or licence from an approved industry association or regulatory body.

An approved home inspection designation includes:

  • CMI (Certified Master Inspector) granted by the Master Inspector Certification Boards, Inc.
  • Associate Home Inspector granted by the Alberta Professional Home Inspectors Society (APHIS)
  • National Certificate Holder granted by CAHPI (Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors)
  • NHI (National Home Inspector) granted by the National Home Inspector Certification Council (NHICC)
  • CMHI (Certified Master Home Inspector) granted by CanNACHI (Canadian National Association of Certified Home Inspectors)

Note: The following designations are no longer offered. Designations previously issued from the approved industry association or regulatory body will be accepted for the purposes of applying for a Home Inspector licence:

  • RHI (Registered Home Inspector) granted by CAHPI (Alberta)
  • Associate Inspector from CAHPI (Alberta)

A licence from an approved regulatory body includes:

  • Home Inspector licence from Consumer Protection BC


Connect with the Consumer Contact Centre:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-4088
Toll free: 1-877-427-4088 (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]