The Local Authority Emergency Management Regulation clarifies legislated emergency management training required for:
- local authorities (including municipal elected officials, Metis settlement officials, improvement district councillors, special area board members)
- directors of emergency management
- employees who have been assigned responsibilities respecting the implementation of a community’s emergency management plan
Legislated training requirements
Local authorities must complete the following course within 90 days of taking their official oath:
Directors of emergency management must complete the following courses within 18 months of being appointed:
- Basic Emergency Management
- Incident Command System (ICS) I-100, I-200, and I-300
- Director of Emergency Management
Local authority staff who have been assigned responsibilities respecting the implementation of the emergency plan must complete the following courses within 6 months of being identified for this role:
Exemptions or extensions may be granted in some exceptional cases, along with possible alternative courses.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.