Land agents licensing

A person must be a licensed land agent to negotiate with a landowner for certain surface or right of way agreements in Alberta.


A land agent is a person who negotiates for or acquires a surface interest in land on behalf of the person’s employer, as an agent on behalf of another person, or on the person’s own behalf.

Licensed land agents are regulated under the Land Agents Licensing Act and the Land Agents Licensing Regulation. The Act also provides for the establishment of an advisory committee.

In Alberta a land agent must have a licence. Without an active licence, you cannot engage in the activities of a land agent, advertise, or represent yourself as a land agent, or act in a manner that leads a reasonable person to think you are a land agent.

Interest in land means acquiring land for the purpose of a right-of-way or other surface use under one of the following Acts:

An owner is a person who has a right to dispose of an interest in land. For more information, see the Land Agents Licensing Act.

Classes of land agent licences

There are 2 classes of licences issued under the Act.

Interim Land Agent Licence

An interim land agent licence allows a person to work while being trained and evaluated by a trainer before applying to become a Permanent Land Agent Licence.

Permanent Land Agent Licence

A person holding an Interim Land Agent Licence can apply for a permanent land agent licence after successfully completing the articling period set out by the Act, any conditions set out by the Registrar of Land Agents*, and with the input of their trainer.

*Note, the requirement is waived for interim land agents to complete the Land Agent Licensing Distance Learning Course (Registrar’s Course) before applying for their permanent land agent licence until a new course is developed.

Licence identification

All land agents must carry their licence issued and signed by the Registrar of Land Agents which shows their full name, licence number, licence class, signature, and expiry date while engaging in the activities of a land agent.

Land agents are required to produce their licence for inspection at the commencement of negotiations for an interest in land, or upon request.

An optional Land Agent Licence Confirmation form is available for use to confirm production of their licence for inspection.

Cancelling a licence

The Registrar of Land Agents has the authority to cancel or suspend a land agent licence for misconduct or if it is in the public interest to do so.