- Hosted a historic government-to-government meeting with all First Nations chiefs.
- Renewed a protocol agreement with the Blackfoot Confederacy as a foundation for working closely together.
- Provided $3.1 million via the Employment Partnership Program to support Indigenous people in training and employment.
- Operated the First Nations Development Fund, which provides grants for economic, social and community projects.
- Strengthened Indigenous participation in Alberta’s $1-billion Site Rehabilitation Program.
- Redesigned the Indigenous Housing Capital Program to offer more flexibility and autonomy for Indigenous communities to build affordable housing.
- Developed the new Alex Decoteau Award of Honour to honour Canadian Armed Forces members and their families as veterans transition to new careers.
- Provided one-time funding for First Nations Colleges in Alberta for supports, including increased technology, Wi-Fi access, and online programming during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Working with Indigenous communities, the federal government, industry and other stakeholders to support strong, vibrant Indigenous communities and people who fully participate in a prosperous, competitive and diverse Alberta. The ministry is also responsible for:
- promoting social and economic opportunities for Indigenous Peoples
- co-leading Indigenous training for all Alberta public servants
- working with other ministries to develop opportunities for Indigenous Peoples to influence land and resource management decisions.
Community-owned Indigenous businesses can now apply for investment backing from the Aboriginal Business Investment Fund.
Creating Indigenous opportunities
The Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation is now open for business as a Crown corporation to encourage job-creating investments from Indigenous communities.
First Nations protocol agreements
Learn how protocol agreements help the provincial government and First Nations in Alberta to work together on issues of mutual concern.
Indigenous organizations and service directory
Listing of organizations, services and information for Indigenous Peoples in Alberta.
- Aug 09, 2020
Minister of Indigenous Relations Rick Wilson issued the following statement on International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples:
- Jul 15, 2020
Alberta’s government is taking action to ensure Indigenous companies and communities benefit from the province’s energy industry.
- Jun 29, 2020
Community-owned Indigenous businesses can apply for investment backing from a government program starting on June 29.