- Hosted a historic government-to-government meeting with all First Nations chiefs.
- Renewed a Protocol Agreement with the Blackfoot Confederacy as a foundation for working closely together.
- Provided $3.1 million via the Employment Partnership Program to support Indigenous people in training and employment.
- Operated the First Nations Development Fund, which provides grants for economic, social and community projects.
- Strengthened Indigenous participation in Alberta’s $1-billion Site Rehabilitation Program.
- Redesigned the Indigenous Housing Capital Program to offer more flexibility and autonomy for Indigenous communities to build affordable housing.
Working with Indigenous communities, the federal government, industry and other stakeholders to support strong, vibrant Indigenous communities and peoples who fully participate in a prosperous, competitive and diverse Alberta. The ministry is also responsible for:
- promoting social and economic opportunities for Indigenous Peoples
- co-leading Indigenous training for all Alberta public servants
- working with other ministries to develop opportunities for Indigenous Peoples to influence land and resource management decisions.
Community-owned Indigenous businesses can now apply for investment backing from the Aboriginal Business Investment Fund.
Creating Indigenous opportunities
Bill 14 created a Crown corporation to encourage job-creating investments from Indigenous communities. More on Creating Indigenous opportunities.
First Nations protocol agreements
Learn how protocol agreements help the provincial government and First Nations in Alberta to work together on issues of mutual concern.
Indigenous organizations and service directory
Listing of organizations, services and information for Indigenous Peoples in Alberta.
- Jul 15, 2020
Alberta’s government is taking action to ensure Indigenous companies and communities benefit from the province’s energy industry.
- Jun 29, 2020
Community-owned Indigenous businesses can apply for investment backing from a government program starting on June 29.
- Jun 21, 2020
Minister of Indigenous Relations Rick Wilson issued the following statement on National Indigenous Peoples Day: