- Hosted a historic government-to-government meeting with all First Nations chiefs.
- Renewed a Protocol Agreement with the Blackfoot Confederacy as a foundation for working closely together.
- Provided $3.1 million via the Employment Partnership Program to support Indigenous people in training and employment.
- Operated the First Nations Development Fund, which provides grants for economic, social and community projects.
- Consulted Indigenous women’s councils to understand how to support the lives of Indigenous women.
- Declared Sisters in Spirit Day in Alberta to raise awareness about the violence Indigenous women experience.
- Engaged in disaster response efforts for communities affected by the 2019 wildfire and flooding.
Working with Indigenous communities, the federal government, industry and other stakeholders to support strong, vibrant Indigenous communities and peoples who fully participate in a prosperous, competitive and diverse Alberta. The ministry is also responsible for:
- promoting social and economic opportunities for Indigenous peoples
- co-leading the development of mandatory Indigenous training for all Alberta public servants
- working with other ministries to develop opportunities for Indigenous peoples to influence land and resource management decisions.
Creating Indigenous opportunities
Bill 14 will create a Crown corporation to encourage job-creating investments from Indigenous communities. More on Creating Indigenous opportunities.
Indigenous organizations and service directory
Listing of organizations, services and information for Indigenous peoples in Alberta.
- Apr 20, 2020
Indigenous communities that need more time for industry consultations during the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for a timeline extension.
- Mar 28, 2020
Indigenous Relations works with federal and Indigenous governments to be sure all Albertans benefit from pandemic planning and response.
- Mar 26, 2020
Using remote meeting tools will help industry and Indigenous communities keep Albertans working on natural resource development projects.