French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.

La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.


A publicly elected school board has the responsibility to serve all students whose parents reside within the board's boundaries, including those students whose parents choose home education. School authorities may also choose to offer a shared responsibility program.

Parental responsibilities

Parents have the responsibility to notify a school board or an accredited private school operator of their intent to home educate their children. The school board can be the local school board or any other willing public, separate, or Francophone school board. The private school operator can be any willing funded and accredited private school operator. Parents choosing home education have the primary responsibility for planning, managing, providing, evaluating, and supervising their children's courses of study.

School Authority responsibilities

The school authority (either a public/separate/Francophone school board or a funded, accredited private school operator) that accepts the parents’ notification is called the associate school authority. It has the responsibility to provide the parents with support, if asked. Together with the parents, the associate school authority must ensure that the child meets the parents’ educational goals in accordance with the Home Education Regulation.

Shared Responsibility Program

A parent of a student providing a home education program to the student and an Alberta funded school authority may agree to share responsibility for the student’s education. Two conditions must be met for this to occur:

  • The school authority portion of the agreement must consist of a program where an Alberta certificated teacher, employed by a school board or an accredited funded private school, is responsible for planning, resource selection, instructional delivery, assessment and evaluation of student progress in selected courses that follow the Alberta programs of study or locally-developed courses. The school authority must be responsible for at least a minimum of:
    • 50% of the student’s program in Grades 1 to 9; and
    • 20% of the student’s program in Grades 10 to 12.
  • The home education portion of the agreement must consist of a program provided by a parent under the authority of the School Act and the Home Education Regulation. The parent is responsible for developing, administering and managing the home education program as outlined above.

School boards or accredited–funded private schools are not required to offer shared responsibility programs. The offering of shared responsibility programs is optional.


Standards for Home Education Reimbursement (PDF, 143 KB)

Home Education Handbook (PDF, 896 KB)

Home Education Notification Form (DOC, 147 KB)

ECS to Grade 12 Guide to Education (PDF, 1.85 MB)

Regulations and more information

Home Education Regulation

Funding manual


To connect with Alberta Education's Field Services branches:

Phone: 780-427-6272
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)