Steps to apply
Step 1: Check your eligibility
- Review the eligibility criteria to decide if the Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) program is right for your family.
- If you have more than one child who may be eligible, you must complete a separate application for each.
Step 2: Fill out the online application
Use the online application through myAlbertaSupports.ca by:
- creating a secure account, if you do not have one
- choosing the Family Support for Children with Disabilities application
- filling it out online and submitting it
Step 3: Get medical documentation
Get a letter or report from a health professional who has diagnosed your child’s disability. It may be written by, or on behalf of a:
- physician or psychiatrist
- physical or occupational therapist, speech and language pathologist or audiologist
- clinical social worker or psychologist
You are responsible for any fees the health professional charges to prepare the letter or report. It must include:
- your child’s name and date of birth
- the diagnosis as either an existing disability or a condition or impairment that may lead to a disability
- information about the disability, how it affects your child’s daily functioning and whether it will have long-term implications
- the date the diagnosis was made – it should be current within 2 years
- the name of the physician or health professional who made the diagnosis
Step 4: Complete your application
- Gather the medical documentation needed for your FSCD application.
- Make copies for your files.
- Bring, mail or email the medical documentation to the nearest FSCD office.
After you apply
An FSCD worker reviews your application package to see if there is enough information to decide if your child is eligible for the program. They will contact you within 2 weeks to:
- ask you to provide more information to determine your child’s eligibility, or
- explain why your child is not eligible and give you information about other programs and resources that may be helpful, or
- say your child is eligible and discuss next steps to determine your needs, goals and the supports you may get