Age and residency criteria
For your family to be eligible for the Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD) program:
- your child with a disability must be under 18 years
- your child must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- the person applying for the program must be the child’s guardian
- the child must reside in Alberta
Medical documentation must be provided confirming the child has a disability or is awaiting a diagnosis.
The diagnosis for a disability or health condition must:
- be chronic
- be a developmental, physical, sensory, mental or neurological condition or impairment
- health condition that impacts their daily living activities such as eating, grooming, walking, interacting with others, playing and problem solving
The diagnosis must not be a condition for which the primary need is for medical care or health services.
Use the Find Supports section of My Alberta Supports to help you find appropriate programs and services you are eligible for.
Contact Alberta Supports to discuss your situation further.
After you apply
Disability Services staff will utilize the information provided through the application to determine whether or not your child is eligible. If your child is eligible, your FSCD file will be forwarded to your local FSCD office for a Disability Services worker to be assigned.
Your Disability Services worker will contact you to set a time to discuss your needs. Services are determined through a needs assessment.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.