According to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Code, Part 11: First Aid, the prime contractor (or employer if there is no prime contractor) is responsible for ensuring individuals who provide first aid services to workers are appropriately trained.
Workers must provide proof of training with a valid workplace first aid certificate, when asked to do so by prime contractors, employers or occupational health and safety officers. Workplace first aid training certifications are valid for up to 3 years. Workers may recertify prior to certification expiration or must take a full course after the expiration date.
Approved training agencies issue a certificate to workers who successfully complete an approved workplace first aid training course. Any instructor delivering workplace first aid training must be certified by an agency approved to teach workplace first aid.
Approved training agencies
View the list of approved training agencies (updated quarterly).
Employers and workers should verify training agency approval status in Alberta, before registering or taking a training course.
How to verify a certificate
If a consultant or service provider is not on the list, follow these steps to make sure the training qualifies for certification:
- Find out the name of the approved agency that developed the course.
- Call the approved agency to verify this information.
- Ask to see the agency’s signed approval letter from either an OHS Director or a Director of Medical Services.
- Confirm with the consultant or service provider that a certified instructor will deliver the approved workplace first aid course.
Apply to teach first aid
All workplace first aid training courses must meet CSA Standard Z1210-17: First aid training for the workplace — Curriculum and quality management for training agencies.
Applicants should refer to the bulletin, Workplace first aid approvals, for more information on how to apply and information about excluded specialty first aid training. Applications will not be accepted for excluded courses.
Agencies seeking new approvals or previously approved agencies seeking approvals for new courses are required to complete the appropriate first aid application forms for each course.
Submit an approval application
Apply online (preferred)
- Apply online for an approval through the secure online portal.
Apply by email
- Submit a complete approval package to [email protected].
- If submitting by email, you are required to complete an approval application form.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.