Services and information
- Family violence prevention – Actions we can take
Individuals and organizations can play a role in preventing family violence and supporting healthy relationships.
- Family violence prevention – Resources
Get information in many languages to help identify, prevent and deal with abuse and family violence.
- Family violence prevention – Contact coordinators
Service providers can contact their nearest family violence and bullying prevention coordinator for information and resources.
- Family Violence Prevention Month
Each November, communities can help raise awareness and prevent family violence by organizing public events and activities.
- Family violence and bullying prevention – Events
Join in events across Alberta that help raise awareness and prevent family violence and bullying.
- Family Violence Prevention Month – Event information form
Submit information about your Family Violence Prevention Month event to be considered for promotion online.
- Family and Community Safety Program grant
Not-for-profit community organizations can apply for funding for projects that address social issues like family and sexual violence.
- Inspiration Awards
Nominate an individual, organization or business for actions they take to end family violence, sexual violence, child abuse or bullying.
Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger. Family violence is a crime.
Family violence includes physical, verbal, emotional, financial and sexual abuse, neglect, stalking or being kept from seeing other people or forced to stay in one place.
The key to preventing family violence is raising awareness and promoting community education. We can all take steps to learn more about it and understand:
- family violence is an abuse of power in a family or other trusting relationship where people rely on each other
- anyone can experience family violence
- when someone experiences family violence, their well-being, security and survival are threatened
- family violence is a crime and people have legal rights to protection
Every November is Family Violence Prevention Month. It helps us focus on the things we can do to:
- increase our personal awareness and take action to prevent family violence
- help ourselves or anyone who is experiencing an abusive relationship
- encourage others to learn more and take action
We can all play a role in continuing to raise awareness throughout the year. When we know how to recognize violence and abuse, we can do more to support healthy relationships and safe home environments.