Table of contents

Self-represented litigants

This service is for people who don’t have a lawyer.

Use it to:

  • prepare for court
  • discuss your issues, explore your options and get you referrals

Intake appointments

This service is for parties who have a dependent child and a family law issue related to that child.

It is required if:

  • the court orders it
  • an application that deals with parenting, guardianship, contact or enforcement of time with a child is filed in Provincial Court (Calgary, Edmonton)
  • self-represented litigants in Calgary file an application under the Family Law Act dealing with:
    • parenting
    • guardianship
    • contact
    • enforcement of time with a child
    • child support
    • declaration of parentage
    • exclusive possession
  • self-represented litigants in Calgary file an application under the Extra-provincial Enforcement of Custody Orders Act that deals with the making, enforcement or variation of a custody order

With this service, we can help you:

  • get safety screened for family violence
  • understand options and services for resolving child-related disputes
  • understand how separation and conflict affects children
  • negotiate agreements and resolve disputes
  • prepare court applications and arrange court dates
  • get referrals to other programs and services

Find a counsellor

The map below includes information on family court assistance across the province. Search by location to find a counsellor near you.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.