Documents for other jurisdictions or countries

Get an apostille to certify the authenticity of Canadian public documents for use in other countries.

Front counter is closed

We do not accept documents for authentication in person.

Follow the instructions below to have your documents authenticated.

Apostille convention

Canada has joined the Apostille Convention. This means Canadian citizens and businesses can submit Canadian public documents for an authenticity certificate called an ‘apostille.’

An apostille certifies:

  • the authenticity of the signature of the public official who signed the document
  • the capacity in which that public official acted
  • when appropriate, the identity of the seal or stamp which the document bears (for example, a notary public seal)

Canadian citizens and businesses can get an apostille for public documents, such as:

  • birth, marriage and death certificates
  • education records
  • notarized documents
  • export records
  • corporate records
  • criminal record checks not issued by the RCMP can be notarized and sent to our office
    • RCMP-issued criminal record checks should be sent to Global Affairs Canada

The apostille does not validate the contents of the document.

Countries not part of the Apostille Convention

We will issue an apostille for all documents, even if you intend to use them in a country that is not a signatory of the convention.

If you need to use a document in a country that is not a signatory of the Apostille Convention, you may need to get it authenticated by a competent authority in Canada and then have it legalized by the foreign representative office of the country of destination.

For information on a non-signatory country’s legalization requirement, contact the country’s foreign representative in Canada:

For the list of countries that have signed the Apostille Convention, go to the:

Document requirements

Documents over 10 pages must be double-sided.

Alberta public documents

We can issue an apostille for the signature of the director of Vital Statistics for:

  • an original birth certificate on polymer paper issued in Alberta
  • a marriage or death certificate issued in Alberta

We cannot accept a laminated or wallet size Vital Statistics document.

If the Vital Statistics document is laminated or wallet size:

  • You must order an updated original Vital Statistics document from a registry agent.

Certificate of Divorce

Ensure that the clerk of the court originally signs the document and seals it with an impressed court seal.

If needed, find out how to get your Certificate of Divorce at Certificate of Divorce – request form.

Education records

Contact the school, college or university you attended. The document must be certified by an official at the educational institution stating the document is an official record or a true copy of the original document.

Other documents

For other documents, such as power of attorney, certificates of life, export or corporate records etc. get a notarized copy of the document:

  • Ensure the notary has signed, sealed and dated the copy.

Get an apostille

Rush, walk-in and while-you-wait services are not available.

  • Send your documents by mail or courier.

Step 1. Gather your documents

Be sure your documents meet the requirements.

Use our Apostille Request Form as a cover sheet to list your document(s).

If you make your own cover sheet, include:

  • your name and contact information:
    • telephone number
    • email address
  • your return address
  • the country in which the document will be used

Step 2. Pay online and get your receipt

An apostille costs $10 per document:

  • Make one payment per submission – for example, submitting 5 documents would cost $50.
  • Do not send cash.

Make your payment online

  • You will be emailed a receipt after your payment has been processed.
  • Print the receipt and include it with your documents as proof of payment.

Step 3. Mail your documents and payment receipt

Be sure your documents meet the requirements before you send them to us.

Send by mail or courier to our address:

If you want us to return your processed documents by courier:

  • Include a prepaid waybill.
  • Handwritten waybills are not accepted – if a handwritten waybill is included, we return the processed documents via Canada Post without notice.

If you want us to return your processed documents with a prepaid envelope from Canada Post:

  • Include the prepaid Priority Courier or Xpresspost envelope.
  • The return mailing address must be filled out, legibly and in full.
  • Keep any tracking information before submitting the envelope.
  • Documents being returned to a foreign address require a pre-paid electronic waybill.

After you submit your document(s)

Documents are processed in the order they are received in our office.

  • Allow at least 7 to 10 business days for processing.
  • If we cannot authenticate your document, we will return your document to you and explain in writing why it could not be authenticated.

Unless you provided us with a prepaid envelope, or waybill for a courier:

  • We will mail your documents via Canada Post.
  • Include a return self addressed envelope to facilitate this process.


Connect with Official Documents and Appointments:

Phone: 780-427-5069
Email: [email protected]

Official Documents and Appointments
#111, 9833 109 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2E8