The Fair Registration Practices Act provides the authority to create a Fair Registration Practices Office, ensuring that qualified individuals entering regulated professions and designated occupations or trades do not face unfair processes or barriers.
As of March 2, 2020, the Fair Registration Practices Office will operate under the working title of the Fairness for Newcomers Office.
The Fair Registration Practices Act and Regulation applies to more than 70 regulatory bodies that oversee the licensing and certification of more than 170 professions, occupations and trades in Alberta.
- Find out if your profession is regulated
- Find out if your designated occupation or trade is regulated
- Learn how to get licensed for these professions, occupations and trades
- Read the Fair Registration Practices Act fact sheet
- Read the Fairness for Newcomers Office fact sheet
What we do
The Fairness for Newcomers Office:
- works with regulatory bodies to streamline, simplify and accelerate the assessment of qualifications by eliminating barriers to registration
- helps regulatory bodies, government departments and other stakeholders understand the Fair Registration Practices Act
- reviews registration and assessment practices of regulatory bodies
- makes recommendations to regulatory bodies to help them improve registration practices
- assists regulatory bodies in complying with the Fair Registration Practices Act
What we do not do
The Fairness for Newcomers Office and the Minister of Labour and Immigration do not work with individual applicants or participate in:
- registration decisions that a regulatory body has made about an application
- internal review or appeal decisions that a regulatory body has made about an applicant
- assessments of an applicant’s registration qualifications
The Alberta government delegates self-governing responsibilities to a number of regulatory bodies which oversee many professions, occupations and trades. These regulatory bodies are responsible for the registration, licensing/certification, discipline and standards of conduct of its members.
Learn more about Alberta regulatory bodies.
Connect with the Fairness for Newcomers Office:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.