There are a number of emergency financial relief programs to help those in need of assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, and to apply for programs you may be eligible for, visit the Government of Canada website.
AISH and Income Support recipients who have lost work and income because of COVID-19 can exempt a portion of the federal government’s Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), if they receive it. This means a portion of the CERB payment will not affect their provincial benefits. Find out more.
If you are facing an unexpected emergency, you can apply for emergency financial assistance.
You can get help when:
- a situation is caused by unforeseeable circumstances beyond your control, and
- it presents a severe health risk, and
- you cannot access other resources or wait until your next pay-cheque or Income Support benefit cheque.
This allowance can cover costs for:
- child care
- damage deposit
- temporary accommodation
- utility arrears
- you must repay this money if you need help with utility arrears more than once
- eviction payments
- you must repay this money if you need help with eviction payments more than once
Emergency Needs Allowance rates are published on page two of the Financial Benefits Summary (PDF, 228 KB).
Costs that may be covered, but must be repaid include:
- essential home repairs
- essential appliance repairs
Proof of need
You must provide proof of need, such as:
- an arrears statement or eviction notice
- a utility bill or statement for utility arrears
- proof from a reliable source that the item is essential, like an unsafe wiring notice from the fire department
You can apply for the Emergency Needs Allowance if:
- you are a current Income Support client
- you are an Albertan earning an income, but you do not have enough money to cover this one-time, short-term emergency that will last no longer than a month
- you meet the Income Support program eligibility requirements
How to apply
For general information on Income Support benefits, you can call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre:
Income Support clients
Contact your Income Support worker.
If an emergency occurs outside regular hours, you can call the 24-hour Contact Centre toll free at 1-866-644-5135. See below for the items that can be issued by the 24-hour Income Support Contact Centre.
If you aren’t receiving Income Support, you can still apply online:
There are some benefits that the 24-hour Income Support Contact Centre can assist with by phone — see details below.
Income Support Contact Centre
If you are facing an emergency need for the following:
- temporary shelter
- emergency basic dental
Call the 24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre (available 24/7):