Annually, designated industrial property owners will receive a Request for Information (RFI) from the provincial assessor. This is a requirement for property owners provide information on their properties by updating, adding, removing or otherwise correcting inventory details.
The package contains an RFI guide or reference and a pre-populated inventory showing current provincial database records.
The RFI indicates a deadline for the response. It is important to respond to this request in a timely manner as it may impact the eligibility of future complaints filed against the resulting assessment.
RFI response deadlines
|RFI type||Date of request||Response deadline|
|Land, buildings, structures, machinery, and equipment (industrial)||August of every year||October of every year|
|Cable, electric power generation, electric power transmission and distribution, gas distribution, pipeline, railway, pipeline, gas distribution and Saskatchewan wells, telecommunication carriers (linear)||September of every year||November of every year|
Allocation area guides
The RFI references the allocation area used to determine which municipality the designated industrial property is located.
- 2023 Allocation Area Guide (PDF, 263 KB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2023 Allocation Area Map (PDF, 17.2 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2023 Allocation Area ESRI files (ZIP, 9.3 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
- 2023 Allocation Area MapInfo files (ZIP, 5.6 MB) (not applicable to Gas Distribution and Wells)
RFI – Guides and forms
Land, buildings, structures, machinery and equipment (industrial)
- 2022 Assessment year (AY) RFI (PDF, 771 KB)
- RFI reference guide: land, buildings, structures, and machinery and equipment (PDF, 78 KB)
Linear RFI declaration form
- 2022AY RFI declaration (linear property only) (PDF, 215 KB)
Cable distribution undertakings (linear)
Electric power generation (linear)
- Electric power generation: 2022 AY – Read me first (PDF, 74 KB)
- Electric power generation: 2022 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 267 KB)
Electric power transmission and distribution (linear)
Pipeline, gas distribution, and Saskatchewan wells (linear)
Telecommunication carriers (linear)
- Telecommunication carriers: 2022 AY – Read me first (PDF, 74 KB)
- Telecommunication carriers: 2022 AY – RFI reference guide (PDF, 200 KB)
Letters of authorization
A letter of authorization or renewal is required when someone other than your company staff is requesting or discussing your company’s designated industrial property assessment information.
Letters of authorization are valid for the tax year in which they are filed. A copy of your company’s request for information will also be forwarded to your authorized representative in the current tax year.
A different authorization form is required when filing an assessment complaint.
Connect with the Assessment Services Branch:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected] (DIP – Industrial assessments)
Email: [email protected] (DIP – Linear assessments)
Assessment Services Branch
15th Floor, 10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.