Important notices

Mailing address changes

To prevent mailings to incorrect addresses for Corporate Income Tax, TRA is adopting address changes and return mail indicators from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Effective November 19, 2022, TRA will automatically update a corporation’s mailing address to match CRA’s records if the address has not been updated with TRA in the last 90 days. TRA may suppress mailing of certain documents until the corporation’s address has been updated.

Address changes can be made:

A corporation’s address will no longer be updated using the AT1 - Alberta Corporate Income Tax Return, and only one address will be retained on file as the mailing address. Alternate addresses are no longer accepted. As a result, the AT1 and Alberta Loss Carry Back Application (Schedule 10) no longer include alternate address fields. Netfile software vendors will be updating these forms in the fall.

Access your account information online

As of October 3, 2022, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) no longer processes phone or email requests for basic account information.

Account owners or their representatives can access most of the information related to corporate income taxes in the Tax and Revenue Administration Client Self-Service (TRACS) portal. Currently accessible information includes:

  • installment balances
  • financial or assessment details
  • statement of accounts
  • copies of Notice of (re)Assessments.

For more information about services offered, see the TRACS page.

To enrol in TRACS:

  • Account owners (corporate director or business owner) and representatives (authorized employees of the business, agents or other third parties representing clients in a program other than corporate income tax) complete the TRACS Enrolment Request. See TRACS for instructions.
  • Third-party representatives for corporate income tax (accounting firms, bookkeepers, accountants, etc.) complete the Third-Party Organization Enrolment. See Third-party organizations for instructions.


Since the 1940s, all incorporated businesses with a permanent establishment (for example, office, mine, farm, oil well) in Alberta at any time in a taxation year pay income tax on the portion of their taxable income allocated to Alberta.

Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) administers the Alberta Corporate Tax Act that provides the calculation of Alberta corporate income tax including the Alberta small business deduction, innovation employment grant and other tax credits.

The Alberta calculation of taxable income parallels the federal calculation, although taxpayers may claim different discretionary deductions such as capital cost allowance for federal and provincial purposes.

Deduction and tax credits

Who has to file

Unless it is exempt, a corporation is required to file an Alberta corporate income tax return (AT1) if it had a permanent establishment in Alberta at any time during the taxation year.

To determine if your corporation is exempt, complete the Exemption Criteria section in AT100, Preparing and Filing the Alberta Corporate Income Tax Return (PDF, 312 KB).

Additional information on who is not required to file, who is exempt and the definition of a permanent establishment are outlined in Information Circular CT-2, Filing Requirements.

How to file

Returns are due within 6 months from the end of a corporation’s tax year end.

Net file

Using certified software, taxpayers or service providers can use net file to electronically submit an Alberta corporate income tax return, including reassessments or amended returns. Net file provides the user with immediate receipt confirmation, faster processing and the convenience of filing from anywhere.

There is no access code or registration required.

Net file is available Monday to Saturday, 7 am to midnight MST, and on Sunday, 5:30 pm to midnight MST.

Net file eligibility

To file a corporate income tax return (AT1) using net file, a corporation must have a valid Alberta corporate account number (CAN):

  • the CAN is also known as the Corporate Access Number on the Alberta Certificate of Incorporation
  • for information about registering a corporation in Alberta, see Incorporate a business or organization

Net file of returns by corporations

For returns for taxation years ending after December 31, 2017, any corporation whose gross revenue exceeds $1 million is required to net file its Alberta AT1 Returns.

The following are exceptions where the corporation is not required to net file:

  • an insurance corporation defined in subsection 248(1) of the federal Income Tax Act,
  • a non-resident corporation,
  • a corporation reporting in functional currency as defined in subsection 261(1) of the federal Income Tax Act, or
  • a corporation that is exempt from taxation under section 35 of the Alberta Corporate Tax Act and section 149 of the federal Income Tax Act.

Net file of returns by tax preparers

For returns for taxation years ending after December 31, 2017, a tax preparer is required to net file AT1 returns in circumstances where the tax preparer accepts consideration to prepare more than 10 AT1 returns.

However, the requirement to net file AT1 returns does not apply to a tax preparer for a calendar year in respect of:

  • an AT1 return for which the tax preparer has applied for and received permission from TRA to file by another method, or
  • an AT1 return for the following types of corporations:
    • an insurance corporation defined in subsection 248(1) of the federal Income Tax Act,
    • a non-resident corporation, or
    • a corporation reporting in functional currency as defined in subsection 261(1) of the federal Income Tax Act.

Net file certified software

The return must be generated and submitted using TRA-certified tax return preparation software.

For a list of certified software offering net file capability, see Software Certified for AT1 Net File and RSI formats for 2008 and Subsequent Taxation Years.

Refer to each software product for specific system requirements, instructions, and procedures on preparation and submission of returns in net file format.


How to pay

If you have a February tax year end with an amount owing, instruct the payment to be applied to the same tax year end date on your tax return. For example, if your Tax Year End Date is February 29, 2020, ensure that the payment is instructed to be applied to February 29, 2020 as well.

Remittance due dates

It is a corporation’s responsibility to calculate its required monthly instalment payments. A corporation must also calculate the balance due, if any, that must be paid by the due date.

If the payment date falls on a weekend or holiday, then the payment date is the next business day.

Interest will be charged on late or deficient payments – this includes instalment payments.

Payment requirements specific to your corporation type:

Canadian Controlled Private Corporations (CCPCs)

  • instalment payments are due on the last day of each month
  • the balance of the tax payable is due on or before the end of the third month following the taxation year

Other corporations

  • instalment payments are due on the last day of each month
  • the balance of the tax payable is due on or before the end of the second month following the taxation year

CCPCs exempt from instalments

  • the balance of the tax payable is due by the end of the third month following the taxation year end

Other corporations exempt from instalments

  • the balance of the tax payable is due by the end of second month following the taxation year end

For more information, see:

Making payments

Maintain your account in TRACS

TRA Client Self-Service (TRACS) is a secure online system for authorized clients to conveniently conduct business with TRA. You can do the following tasks in TRACS:

  • confirm receipt and completion of submitted returns
  • view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
  • access financial information and view account period balances
  • update address and contact information
  • delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals
  • set up direct deposit for corporate income tax refunds
  • submit documents – see Corporate Income Tax – Submitting Documents in TRACS for more information
  • file a notice of objection

For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.

How to authorize a representative

Changes to the Alberta Consent form (AT4930)

Representatives need to request TRACS access using the ‘Manage Clients’ function in their third-party organization account. For more information, see Third-party organizations.

An individual with proper authorization for the business may consent to the release of confidential information about account(s) with TRA to a specific representative  – a firm and/or individual – also known as a third-party organization.

An individual with proper authorization for the business includes a(n):

  • owner
  • partner of a partnership
  • corporate director
  • trustee of an estate
  • individual with delegated authority

If your representative is not enrolled as a Third-party organization with TRA, you must complete the Alberta Consent Form – Corporate Income Tax (AT4930) (PDF, 285 KB) and submit to TRA.

Step 1: Complete the Alberta Consent Form

  • Review the consent form provided by your representative.
  • Complete the certification section if you agree to the privileges requested in part 3.
  • Send the completed Alberta Consent Form back to your representative.

Step 2: Representative uploads the Alberta Consent Form in TRACS

Step 3: Representative receives access

  • TRA will review the consent form to ensure it is complete.

Third-party organizations

A firm or individual that represents one or more clients for corporate income tax may enrol with TRA to access client’s corporate income tax account information online using TRACS.

See Third-party organizations for more information.

How to apply for direct deposit

Direct deposit is a convenient, reliable, and secure way to receive a refund from TRA.

Step 1: Register for TRACS (TRA Client Self-Service)

Step 2: Sign up for direct deposit in TRACS

  • Log in to your TRACS account and select ‘Manage Direct Deposit’.
  • Enter your banking and contact information and submit.
  • For an instructional video, see TRACS videos.

How to object

A notice of objection must be submitted within 90 days from the date shown on the notice of (re)assessment or notice of (re)determination of loss. If the objection has not been submitted within 90 days, you must request an extension of time to file the notice of objection. No objection may be filed after one year and 90 days from the date shown on the notice.

You must file a separate notice of objection for each tax year end or notice of (re)assessment even if the reasons or statement of facts is the same.

Step 1: Login to your TRACS account and select ‘File a Notice of Objection’ from ‘Account Actions’

Step 2: Complete and submit the notice of objection

  • Provide a detailed explanation and upload supporting documentation.

Step 3: Receive decision

  • TRA will review your notice of objection(s) and all additional information provided. We may contact you for additional information.
  • You will receive the written decision by secure email.
  • If you do not agree with the decision, you may take further legal action to appeal the decision.


Information circulars

These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.

Cross-program information circulars

Corporate income tax information circulars and guides

Interpretation bulletins

These documents explain legislation and provide specific information related to Alberta Corporate Income Tax. Interpretation bulletins are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.

Special notices

These documents are used to announce changes to the legislation administered by TRA, or changes to administrative policies and practices carried out by TRA. These notices are time-specific, and meant to be transitory in nature. The information may eventually be incorporated into other publications, such as information circulars or web content.

Read all Corporate income tax special notices

Certified software for corporate income tax returns


AT1: Alberta Corporate Income Tax Return and Schedules

Innovation Employment Grant

Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Credit forms

Election forms

Other forms


Sign up for updates

Subscribe to TRA's publications and announcements


Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-3044
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-427-0348
Email: [email protected]

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on