A collector is a person employed or authorized by a collection agency to carry on the activities of a collector by:
- collecting or attempting to collect a debt or debts from a debtor
- locating debtors in Alberta
- acting for or dealing with a debtor
If you do not require this licence, you do not need to proceed further.
How to apply
You will need to provide:
- a completed application form
- a criminal record check or police information check
- payment for a licensing fee
To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of ceasing to carry on the activities for which the licence was issued.
It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.
Licensees must be able to provide confirmation of licensing on request. This can be done by providing a copy of the licence or by providing other confirmation that the individual is properly licensed. This can include providing their licence number.
Maintain the Collection Agency Compliance Standards
Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Consumer Protection Act and its regulations associated with this licence and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.
Collection Agency Compliance Standards – Read and understand
- Section 12.1 regarding knowledge of the legislation and prohibited collection practices
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta King’s Printer.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.