Our application forms have changed
To avoid delays in processing, ensure you use the most recent forms available on this page.
Old versions of the forms will not be accepted as of March 1, 2021.
A collector is a person employed or authorized by a collection agency to carry on the activities of a collector by:
- collecting or attempting to collect a debt or debts from a debtor
- locating debtors in Alberta
- acting for or dealing with a debtor
If you do not require this licence, you do not need to proceed further.
How to apply
You will need to provide:
- a completed application form
- a criminal record check or police information check
- payment for a licensing fee
To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing within 15 days of ceasing to carry on the activities for which the licence was issued.
It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.
Licensees must be able to provide confirmation of licensing on request. This can be done by providing a copy of the licence or by providing other confirmation that the individual is properly licensed. This can include providing their licence number.
Maintain the Collection Agency Compliance Standards
Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Consumer Protection Act and its regulations associated with this licence and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.
Collection Agency Compliance Standards – Read and understand
- Section 12.1 regarding knowledge of the legislation and prohibited collection practices
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta Queen’s Printer.