Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Minister Demetrios Nicolaides
Demetrios Nicolaides was sworn in as Minister of Advanced Education on April 30, 2019.
The Premier's mandate letter to the Minister of Advanced Education outlines the objectives and priorities of the work they will focus on in their role.
Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs is a transformational vision, direction and new way of working for our province’s higher education system.
We created the Skills for Jobs Task Force to look for ways to renew and expand trades education and opportunities for young Albertans.
- Information on post-secondary learning during COVID-19.
- How to start planning for post-secondary.
- Resources and supports for Indigenous students in Alberta’s adult learning system.
- Information for Albertans studying abroad and international students.
Prepares Albertans for lifelong success through education by:
- approving programs of study
- funding public post-secondary institutions and other adult learning providers
- providing financial aid for learners
- registering and certifying apprentices
- supporting academic research and innovation
Our programs and services are driven by 3 outcomes:
- Adult learning opportunities are accessible and affordable for all Albertans.
- High-quality education, skills development and research make a positive contribution to Alberta’s economy, society, culture and environment.
- The adult learning system is accountable and coordinated.
Scholarships are available for students, teachers, apprentices and occupational trainees.
Start planning for post-secondary
Whether you are in high school or going back to school as an adult, use these resources to help you create a learner pathway that gets you where you want to be.
Adult learning system principles
Read the 5 principles guiding our work to ensure all Albertans have the same opportunity to get a high-quality post-secondary education.
Supports for Indigenous students
The government is committed to supporting Indigenous post-secondary students in Alberta by providing campus, community, financial and transition resources.
- Mar 22, 2023
The Government of Alberta has approved the University of Alberta to set up a new Innovation Fund that will invest in Alberta-led startups.
- Mar 13, 2023
Budget 2023 will invest almost $200 million to expand post-secondary health care programs to train more than 3,400 additional health care professionals.
- Mar 08, 2023
The Ministry of Advanced Education is supporting Alberta’s growing aviation industry by investing more than $11 million over three years in Budget 2023.