Minister Demetrios Nicolaides
Demetrios Nicolaides was sworn in as Minister of Advanced Education on April 30, 2019.
The Premier's mandate letter to the Minister of Advanced Education outlines the objectives and priorities of the work they will focus on in their role.
Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs is a transformational vision, direction and new way of working for our province’s higher education system.
We created the Skills for Jobs Task Force to look for ways to renew and expand trades education and opportunities for young Albertans.
- Information on post-secondary learning during COVID-19.
- How to start planning for post-secondary.
- Resources and supports for Indigenous students in Alberta’s adult learning system.
- Information for Albertans studying abroad and international students.
Prepares Albertans for lifelong success through education by:
- approving programs of study
- funding public post-secondary institutions and other adult learning providers
- providing financial aid for learners
- registering and certifying apprentices
- supporting academic research and innovation
Our programs and services are driven by 3 outcomes:
- Adult learning opportunities are accessible and affordable for all Albertans.
- High-quality education, skills development and research make a positive contribution to Alberta’s economy, society, culture and environment.
- The adult learning system is accountable and coordinated.
Scholarships are available for students, teachers, apprentices and occupational trainees.
Start planning for post-secondary
Whether you are in high school or going back to school as an adult, use these resources to help you create a learner pathway that gets you where you want to be.
Adult learning system principles
Read the 5 principles guiding our work to ensure all Albertans have the same opportunity to get a high-quality post-secondary education.
Supports for Indigenous students
The government is committed to supporting Indigenous post-secondary students in Alberta by providing campus, community, financial and transition resources.
- Apr 21, 2023
Advanced Education is investing more than $3 million to support rehabilitation and therapy for veterans through world-leading research at the University of Alberta.
- Apr 13, 2023
Alberta's government is investing $193 million to create nearly 8,000 new seats in high-demand post-secondary programs across the province.
- Apr 11, 2023
Budget 2023 invests $9 million over three years to support and expand the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy.