Choose to study in Alberta

Find out how to study in Alberta, the destination of choice for thousands of international higher education students every year.

International student study permit update

On January 22, 2024, the Government of Canada announced a cap on international student permit applications.

International students applying for a study permit to attend an undergraduate program in Alberta will be required to submit an attestation letter along with a letter of acceptance to a qualified Alberta post-secondary school.

Learn more about how to receive a Provincial Letter of Attestation (PAL).

The following students are exempt and/or will not be affected by this change:

  • Current students or those seeking study permit renewals,
  • students enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program, and
  • students enrolled in K-12 education


When you study in Alberta, you:

  • study with faculty and instructors that are leaders in their field
  • take high quality, internationally recognized programs
  • learn in leading edge facilities
  • could work with well-known researchers on important projects
  • get an education in one of the most beautiful parts of Canada and the world

Visit Study in Alberta

International students should visit:

Study in Alberta

The Study in Alberta website can help you:

  • plan your studies
  • learn more about life in Alberta
  • research our world-class post-secondary institutions
  • start your application
  • plan your stay in Alberta and budget for living expenses
  • learn more about your options after you graduate

Follow these 3 easy steps to get on your way to studying in Alberta.

Quality assurance

Every approved or licensed program offered at a higher education institution in Alberta must meet certain quality standards.

These standards:

  • ensure students receive a quality education at any post-secondary institution in Alberta that accepts international students
  • allow students studying in Alberta to transfer their learning between programs and institutions

Read more about Alberta’s quality standards for higher learning.

Program options

With more than 2,000 post-secondary programs offered by institutions throughout Alberta, you have choices in what and where you learn.

Programs and credentials, and how they are taught, can vary by higher learning institution. Here’s how you can research which program is the best fit for you:

Post-secondary institutions

There are many different types of higher education institutions located in communities throughout the province.

In Alberta, institutions must be designated to accept international students. These institutions offer programming that meets provincial government quality standards. You can only get a study permit from the Government of Canada if you enrol at a designated institution.

Find institutions that are designated for international students.

How to apply

Admission requirements can vary by higher learning program and institution. Find information about admission:

Apply for a study permit

When submitting a study permit application to study in Alberta, you must include a letter of acceptance to a designated post-secondary institution, along with a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL). These two documents are a requirement to submit a study permit application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Post-secondary institutions will request a Provincial Attestation Letter on behalf of accepted students. Please contact the registrar of the institution you have been accepted to for questions or more information.

Learn more about the steps to study in Alberta.

Assessing your prior learning

When you apply, your prior learning is assessed to confirm it meets your program’s admission requirements.

Find out how your higher education credentials are assessed in Alberta.

Upgrading your learning

As part of the application process, you will be asked to demonstrate your proficiency with the English language. Find out how to take an English language proficiency assessment.

You may also be required to upgrade some of your marks to meet admission requirements. Learn about academic upgrading.

Plan your stay

Before you come to study in Alberta, you will need to arrange:

Also make sure you know how to access international student support services at your institution.

Above all, plan to enjoy your time in Alberta! Travel Alberta has information about destinations to explore throughout the province during your stay.


Connect with the International and Industry Collaboration Unit:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-1785
Toll free: 310-0000
Fax: 780-427-4185
Email: [email protected]