Youth in corrections are between the ages of 12 and 17 who have been accused or found guilty of breaking the law.
In Alberta, the Correctional Services division oversees young persons who are:
- serving a sentence in a youth custody facility
- sentenced to community sentences
The division also works with other areas of government to provide programs to support a young person's personal development including:
- mental and physical health
- addictions treatment
Depending on their sentence and placement, a young person may serve their sentence in a designated youth custody facility.
While a young person is serving a custody sentence, they are provided with programs and support to help promote positive behaviour change and reintegration into the community.
These programs include:
- individualized sentence plans – including program referrals and placements
- education – all young persons aged 16 and under are required to participate in school
- life skills
- medical and mental health services
- work programs
- reintegration planning
- Indigenous programs
Get money to a youth
You need to know the youth’s Offender Records and Correctional Administration (ORCA) number to make a deposit.
You can deposit money into a youth’s:
- trust account – money in a trust account can be moved to a phone account
- phone account – money in a phone account cannot be moved to a trust account
The quickest ways to deposit money:
- online or by phone
- at the youth facility
- at a Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) – call your local branch and ask about forwarding money to a youth in custody
Online or by phone
This deposit service is provided by Synergy and there are service charges. You can pay with a:
- credit card, or
- MoneyGram from Canada Post
Learn how Synergy online and phone deposits work
At the youth facility
Lobby front desk
Staff working at the front desk can put money directly into a youth’s accounts – there are no service charges. You can make a deposit with:
Sending a cheque or money order
There are rules about sending money to a youth – check with the facility.
Connect with the Custody Operations branch:
Custody Operations branch
10th Floor, John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3W7
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.