Youth in corrections

Learn about custody and programs that promote positive behaviour and help prepare youth to reintegrate into the community.


Youth in corrections are between the ages of 12 and 17 who have been accused or found guilty of breaking the law.

In Alberta, the Correctional Services division oversees young persons who are:

The division also works with other areas of government to provide programs to support a young person's personal development including:

  • education
  • mental and physical health
  • addictions treatment
  • housing


Depending on their sentence and placement, a young person may serve their sentence in a designated youth custody facility.


While a young person is serving a custody sentence, they are provided with programs and support to help promote positive behaviour change and reintegration into the community.

These programs include:

  • individualized sentence plans – including program referrals and placements
  • education – all young persons aged 16 and under are required to participate in school
  • life skills
  • medical and mental health services
  • work programs
  • recreation
  • reintegration planning
  • Indigenous programs

Get money to a youth

You need to know the youth’s Offender Records and Correctional Administration (ORCA) number to make a deposit.

You can deposit money into a youth’s:

  • trust account – money in a trust account can be moved to a phone account
  • phone account – money in a phone account cannot be moved to a trust account

The quickest ways to deposit money:

  • online or by phone
  • at the youth facility
  • at a Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) – call your local branch and ask about forwarding money to a youth in custody

Online or by phone

This deposit service is provided by Synergy and there are service charges. 

Find out how to make a deposit on the Synergy website with:

At the youth facility

Lobby front desk

Staff working at the front desk can put money directly into a youth’s accounts – there are no service charges. You can make a deposit with:

  • cash

Sending a cheque or money order

There are rules about sending money to a youth – check with the facility.


Connect with the Custody Operations branch:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-4703
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)

Custody Operations branch
10th Floor, John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3W7