Accepting applications as of April 3, 2023.
The Water Program supports agricultural water management by helping primary producers adopt agriculture water better management practices and priority actions. This supports better management of risks to water quality and supplies, adaptation to climate variability and the efficient use of water resources.
An applicant may apply to one or both of the program streams:
- On-Farm Irrigation Stream
- On-Farm Water Supply Stream
For dugouts, dams and spring developments under the On-Farm Water Supply Stream, applicants must speak to an Agriculture and Irrigation Water Specialist and receive an approved Construction Sheet prior to planning and construction. This will confirm the proposed project meets legislative and program requirements. Call 310-FARM to speak to an Agriculture and Irrigation Water Specialist.
Some projects will require proof of application for water licence (or amendment) from Alberta Environment and Protected Areas. For more information, see:
- There is limited funding in the program. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis, will be assessed against program eligibility criteria and are subject to program funding constraints.
- Submission of a completed application does not guarantee that the applicant will receive payment under this program.
On-Farm Irrigation Stream projects: See the On-Farm Irrigation Stream Funding List for project specifics. Each applicant is eligible for a maximum $30,000 funding per fiscal year of the program:
- on-farm irrigation system purchases – 25% eligible expenses (up to $15,000 per parcel)
- on-farm irrigation system upgrades – 25% eligible expenses (up to $5,000 per parcel)
On-Farm Water Supply Stream projects: see the On-Farm Water Supply Stream Funding List for project specific maximums. Note: if all of the project maximums are reached, there is an On-Farm Water Supply Stream maximum of $35,000 per applicant for the period April 1, 2023, to March 31, 2028.
On-Farm Irrigation Stream projects: 25% grant and 75% applicant for eligible expenses, up to maximums described above.
On-Farm Water Supply Stream projects:
- Standard incentive projects: up to 25% for eligible expenses
- Special incentives (project specific) – varied
On-Farm Irrigation Stream: an applicant must be a primary producer operating in Alberta that:
- is responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $25,000 worth of farm commodities annually
- does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land
- owns an irrigated agricultural operation in Alberta
- has not been previously approved for payment from the program for the same project type for the parcel described in the application
On-Farm Water Supply Stream: an applicant must be a primary producer that:
- is responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $25,000 worth of farm commodities annually, but does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land
- is liable to pay Alberta income tax or corporate tax (or claim losses) on income from the production of farm commodities under the Income Tax Act (Canada) or the Alberta Corporate Tax Act
The province is committed to supporting the success of Indigenous businesses in the agriculture and food sector. We understand that Indigenous businesses may have distinct characteristics reflective of regulatory, operational, cultural, and other factors affecting their business history and operation. We aim for flexibility in our programs. If you are interested in applying for the program but have questions about the application process or eligibility requirements, contact program staff at:
See the On-Farm Irrigation Stream Funding List and the On-Farm Water Supply Stream Funding List in the ‘Funding’ section above.
Before you apply
There is limited funding under this program each fiscal year so funding is not guaranteed. If your application is not approved, you will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with your project. All expenses prior to April 1, 2023, are ineligible.
The Water Program Terms and Conditions govern the administration of the program and must be reviewed prior to starting work on a project and/or applying to the program. Projects must be identified as eligible in the Program Funding Lists and meet all applicable requirements stated on the Program Funding Lists.
To be eligible for funding, projects must meet the requirements of all applicable federal and provincial legislation and contact initiated with agencies (for example, Alberta Environment and Protected Areas) prior to the start of the project.
For dugouts, dams and spring developments under the On-Farm Water Supply Stream, applicants must speak to an Agriculture and Irrigation Water Specialist and receive an approved construction sheet prior to planning and construction, to ensure the proposed project meets legislative and program requirements. Call 310-FARM to speak to an Agriculture and Irrigation Water Specialist.
- Invoices must be under the Legal Name stated on your application.
- Invoices must be dated after April 1, 2023.
- On-Farm Irrigation Stream: you must provide proof of 10% down payment for all Eligible Expenses and proof of payment must be under the Legal Name (or Company Name) on your application and other supporting documents.
- On-Farm Water Supply Stream: you must provide proof of payment in full for all invoices and proof of payment must be under the Legal Name or Company Name on your application.
How to apply
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Determine whether you are eligible by reviewing the Water Program Terms and Conditions.
Confirm that the proposed activities are eligible. Eligible activities are listed in:
Step 2: Complete application form
Complete and sign the Water Program Application form.
Step 3: Submit application form
Submit the completed Application Form and supporting documents by email or mail:
Submit by On-Farm Irrigation Stream Projects On-Farm Water Supply Stream Projects [email protected] [email protected]
Sustainable-CAP Water Program
Natural Resource Innovation Section
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation
100, 5401 1 Avenue South
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4V6
Sustainable-CAP Water Program
Program Delivery Section
Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation
7000 113 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
Phone: 310-FARM (3276) Ask to speak to an Agriculture and Irrigation Water Specialist
What happens next
- If you email your application: you will be notified by email that your application has been received. If you do not receive an email confirmation that your application was received contact us by telephone.
- If you mail or fax your application: you will be notified by telephone or email that your application has been received.
- If your application is missing information: you will be notified by email or telephone and you will be asked to submit the missing information.
Application processing is underway but an estimated timeline for approval is not currently available. This information will be updated as soon as it is possible. We understand the importance of your application and appreciate your patience.
- Water Program Terms and Conditions
- On-Farm Irrigation Stream Funding List
- On-Farm Water Supply Stream Funding List
- Water Program Application form
- Water legislation and guidelines
- Ministerial Grants Regulation
Water program fact sheets
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sign up for updates
Enter your email address to receive program updates and the e-newsletter.